When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Frame to build a beach cruiser?

-

PD Monkey

Look Ma, No Hands!
I want to build a cool beach cruiser. I was thinking S-2 wheels, block tires, 3-speed w/coaster brakes, stingray bars and a comfy seat. For cruising San Diego boardwalks. What are the best frames to start with? I have seen them built with Typhoons, Corvettes, Racers, Etc. I really don't know the differences in all the models. I like bikes with some personality to them as compared to a standard store bought bike. And I think it would be a fun project to build it.

I just bought a '62 Fleet but I am starting to like it kind of as it is. It is nothing special but I get comments on it every time I ride it.

Thanks!

Will S-2s fit the fenders too? I am not a fan of straight bars on a cruiser. My hands get tired, I prefer taller bars. That is why I was thinking Stingray bars. I have been riding my Fleet that last few weeks and my hands/wrists get tired/sore after 10+ miles. I clearly need have more beer stops :)

I think a early post war 1946-1950 with a springer front end, long spring seat, lucky 7 seat post turned backwards and set low, rolling on s2’s with a 26x2.35 tire are the smoothest rides out there! The early post war frames are a bit wider allowing for the larger tire.

B1B1FEB6-7305-4A8D-A1ED-858C69C1F587.jpeg

FAE7DDB0-12CA-4F84-A4B3-5741BFE3C741.jpeg

when I got back into the hobby I wanted to build a fenderless bike from a frame and fork. so I looked for a cool frame and fork with paint and condition I liked, not a specific year or frame style. found a 48 DX with original paint and scallops and added all my extra Schwinn parts and a Brooks seat. then I was corrupted by the CABE and added all the parts it came with originally, even put a New Departure skiptooth hub in a perfectly good already built wheel with a Musselman hub .

Last edited:
Will S-2s fit the fenders too? I am not a fan of straight bars on a cruiser. My hands get tired, I prefer taller bars. That is why I was thinking Stingray bars. I have been riding my Fleet that last few weeks and my hands/wrists get tired/sore after 10+ miles. I clearly need have more beer stops :)
Phantom was referring to a straightbar frame, not handlebars!

Back