When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Phantom- 1955?- Fair condition- What is it worth?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hi, I get that opinion, respect it, and it seems over the last decade or so "patina" has become a more appreciated state of a vintage anything. That's good. It's true with many things that if you alter original wear or aging, you are in fact reducing the value and charm of said item. For that matter, "barn find and patina" are the buzz words of the decade. Over used in my opinion as lots of the terms are used inaccurate. A barn is a barn, and patina is from use or shelf/storage age. Not a shed or dumping salt on a repro sign. People have been watching the barns in AP too much.

I grimace at over-restored anything, but it happens and I've been guilty over the years, usually not on purpose. The quality of paint and plating sometimes surpasses the original finish. It happens. It's uncommon to tell a painter to be a bit sloppy or a plater, pin striper to cut a few steps or close one eye on your project. "Drink a 12 of bud before you spray paint my car, or do it Monday morning or just before you quit on Friday?" Hmnn.........

If something has been neglected and deteriorated based on being stored in poor unnatural conditions ( outside/damp/wet basement/ salt or chemicals) and the item can be "brought back" with a little detailing, personally I support that. It is a matter of choice and taste though. That bike looks like it has been neglected, not abused. There is a big difference. If that bike was owned and maintained and stored properly all these years, it would probably shine like new still. Take Bobby U's example he just sold on the Cabe. Survivors are wonderful. It's the state they have survived and how is the question. Lots of us "old school" guys are used to cleaning up the "patina" with some good old "elbow grease". To each their own. Personally, I'd buff the bike from stem to stern and bring back the natural beauty.

Well said.

Since childhood, I’ve always been fascinated by abandoned, rusty whatevers. It just amazed me that something that once was someone’s pride and joy is now broken, rusted and returning to the earth. I’m old now, and the same thing is gonna happen to me before too long!

I think the reason “barn find” and ”patina” became such hot buzzwords is because everything else in our lives is disposable crap produced by our communist overlords. To find something, in any condition, made of metal and more than 5 years old is pretty amazing.

The bike in question here really would be a great find. If I had to wait two more months before I’d be able to close the deal, I don’t know that I would have announced to the public that it was even on the block. I’m cynical that way. Hope it all comes true for the OP.

”patina”

I'm with you guys, certainly on the over restored bikes goes without saying. As far as patina goes according to the Oxford and other dictionaries "Patina" only develops on Bronze or like materials say Copper. Even the sub definitions make no mention of rust. So by definition any use of the term other than in regards to Bronze type material is wrong and incorrect. It has become the go to term for any sign of age. Like too many things in this world and in our language the word has been used incorrectly to satisfy the mindless masses. The fact that the term is incorrectly used and accepted so readily is like so many other things in our society I cannot stand. I guess whatever it takes to sell some pottery barn junk to him, her ,they ,he ,she ,it, those or what ever people have decided they would like to be called ( please do not get me going on that topic) makes it OK. I know what real patina is and I still use the term as it has become so accepted but after all is said and done I truly know it is rust. I have always identified as Royalty so please refer to me as "King Coaster" from now on please.
Sorry for the derail.

Your Majesty, please note I used rusty and rusted to describe what I like and put “patina“ in quotations. Beyond the word “gay” (remember, the Flintstones had “a gay old time”), I can’t think of a word that has been as overused/misused as patina has been.

Wow, we are derailing.

33 posts and only eight of them relating to the OPs original question...
That's the fun of being on a forum that doesn't have straight jackets and high walls with barbed wire at the door before you enter. We should have our ( symbolically only in this politically correct time) knuckles wrapped for being so impudent. 8 of 33. That's roughly 24.3%. Not bad for a bunch of relaxed folks having fun?

@Nashman Yes, I love breathing new life into bikes that have been left to the ravages of time...or at least a few breaths. That one would be easy to do. 😀
I think that's great. I'm your biggest fan. I've been complimented over decades for my detailing skills, but also admire others skills and results/tips, and it's truly a passion. My whole collection rampage started with collecting and polishing semi precious stones and gems. As you may have seen, my collection covers many areas, and bringing something back close to it's original beauty is so rewarding. Hats off to you @HARPO !

Back