When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Bendix two speed hub rebuild

-

Huntingtonbikeguru

Look Ma, No Hands!
Anyone out there with advice, warnings and/or insights about taking apart a locked up Bendix 2 speed hub (red rings) and putting it back together. I do have the 1969 Schwinn Shop Manual on p. 237 and following.

90C2E730-1F9E-4451-95D3-5244CF1C038C.jpeg

D38BB4BF-28F3-4FE9-8B9B-F5470AA29978.jpeg

Straightforward, not as bad as manuals look. Some tips:
There are 11 loose bearing balls, but if gummy inside, they will not spill out

During reassembly, slide all nondrive side internals onto axle and insert thru nondrive side hub. Then insert drive side.

Good luck and have fun!
👍👍

This is mostly a guess based on what I've encountered and judging by your hub's appearance of not being too abused....but I imagine it's locked up due to someone using heavy grease on the driver/clutch threads and letting it sit to dry up. First I'd recommend taking the clip ring off that holds the drive side dust cover on, and the dust cover will pull off. Lay it over drive side up and douse the internals with penetrating oil. Let it soak up whatever it will through the outer bearing race opening and in between the hub shell and sprocket. This will help loosen any dried up clay-like grease, at least enough to make disassembly easier. Give it some time to wick down into the hub and then try to rotate whichever side will free up first. When removing the drive side cone, you may have to rotate it counter clockwise a bit(to where it binds) then rotate the sprocket and hub clockwise while holding the brake arm and cone still to undo the binding induced in the clutch/driver....and repeat until the planetary gears are disengaged (approximately 1/2").

Hope this helps!

They aren't too bad. I should be able to help with any questions.
One thing the manuals don't talk much about is lubrication during an overhaul.
Can you talk about that a little? What kind and how much? Most importantly I'm wondering about lubrication of the brake discs on the red band and the "shoes" on the yellow & blue bands.

Back