When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Racer...Is This Worth Purchasing?

-
Most I've ever sold a 3sp lightweight for was $150 for a black 63 Traveler. It had a miller generator set on it and a sunburst badge...had a few parts changed out that I can't remember. The guy that bought it said he was buying for a friend that had just won the Lottery and shipping it out to California.

I'd guess 57ish on this red Racer....I had a 57 Traveler with that same badge too, with wings but no vertical lines. I think the fork pinstripes went smaller in 61 if I remember right. So at least a 60 and prior bike. Winged badge is probably more limiting on the years, but I'm not sure when that stopped being used.

I think that 3 speeds with SA hubs make great knockaround general purpose bikes, but I prefer the relatively rare variety with coaster brake in the rear, caliper front.

These machines have always seemed to be at the bottom of the desirability list, over my entire life, at least here in the midwest, such that nice examples can be had for well under $100, and I never felt the need to even lock up the ratty Sears Free Spirit that was my everyday bike for many years.

A similar Schwinn model is the Speedster. If I'm not mistaken, both the Racer and Speedster use Schwinn S-6, 26x1-3/8 tires, and these are relatively rare nowadays. I think it may be that only Kenda is producing this ISO 37-597 tire, which I believe is also sold marketed as "Sunlight".

The ISO 37-590, 26x1-3/8 tire that is used on most English built, internal geared 3 speeds, is more readily available, and in a wider variety, something to consider. I've heard of people shoehorning 590s onto schwinn 597 S-6 rims, but it's not supposed to fit.

One thing that I do like about the Racer, as a 6'+ rider, is that for at least some model years, Schwinn built them with up to 23" frames. I've found taller frames to be a relatively rare thing in imported 3 speeds. https://bikehistory.org/bikes/racer/

My 57 came with drop bars and the winged badge as well. of course i put on a more correct bar, new tires and tune up and it rides well.

20210323_161132.jpg

I think 1971 was the last year for the Racer, if memory serves. These are very nice bikes that fly under the radar. At $100 - $130, they are a very good value.

Did the 50's and early 60's Racers come in a 23" frame? They always seem to turn up in the 21" size, which does not fit me well at 6'1".

I still have several schwinn racers. All short frames. My favorite is this one.

View attachment 1744975

View attachment 1744976

View attachment 1744977
Yea @HARPO I would be at $100 around here all cleaned up and ready to roll. I will take them when other bikes are involved just to not lose out on another bike. That is the forks set for making Stingray choppers. These have since gone full circle and are back on a racer of another member. @Lonestar '76 Stingray chopper, I like how you have it now.

IMG_1452 (2).jpg

Back