When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American Flyer Value?

-

BRad90

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have a chance to buy an American Flyer. As you can see in the photo, it does have missing parts present and the front fork is bent. The value I am looking for is the frame, I am still learning valuing bicycles and would like some help what would be a good price point to purchase this bicycle.

Screenshot_20221204-093717_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20221204-093728_Facebook.jpg

I have a chance to buy an American Flyer. As you can see in the photo, it does have missing parts present and the front fork is bent. The value I am looking for is the frame, I am still learning valuing bicycles and would like some help what would be a good price point to purchase this bicycle.

View attachment 1745002View attachment 1745003
Krakota on the CABE can straighten that fork for you. He does excellent work.

I believe that American Flyer was a DP Harris’ Rollfast badge for that HP Snyder-built sport-motorbike of the later 1930’s+.

General advice may be to try to acquire a bike as complete as possible, as building-up from a bare frame may have negative return on investment.

If the project is just for the enjoyment, then the question may be more about supply and demand, and how much patience, or how long the buyer is willing to wait?

Another consideration is the shipping cost for a frame. For example, if shipping is $100, might a seller expect $85 for the frame, (or vice versa), for a net $185?

An American Flyer head badge might also fit on various other Snyder-built frames?
*When some people hear American Flyer, they might think of Louisville bikes made by that other manufacturer.

Sounds like a neat project!

Last edited:
I believe that American Flyer was a DP Harris’ Rollfast badge for that HP Snyder-built sport-motorbike of the later 1930’s+.

General advice may be to try to acquire a bike as complete as possible, as building-up from a bare frame may have negative return on investment.

If the project is just for the enjoyment, then the question may be more about supply and demand, and how much patience, or how long the buyer is willing to wait?

Another consideration is the shipping cost for a frame. For example, if shipping is $100, might a seller expect $85 for the frame, (or vice versa), for a net $185?

An American Flyer head badge might also fit on various other Snyder-built frames?
*When some people hear American Flyer, they might think of Louisville bikes made by that other manufacturer.

Sounds like a neat project!
I am one that takes on bike projects for enjoyment. It's fun to bring a bicycle back to life and ride it as is without worrying about the glam of a shiny bicycle getting ruined. I am never about the end value, but I would like to make sure that I am purchasing the bike at a reasonable price that isn't overpaying.

Back