When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Super Continental - or somethin'

-

one-eyed sailor

Finally riding a big boys bike
I drove an hour and a half to buy a nice 73 Super Sport (orange!) and he also had this poor fellow.
500842-1656164936-783148.jpeg

$25, had to have it.
I read through a few posts by @HARPO and @GTs58 and got up to speed a little on what it is and should have as components.
It's obviously seen better days. Front derailleur? Nope, looks like the shifter mount was broken off at some point and they removed the other two rings or...
IMG_9795.JPG

Has the AVA stem but tourist bars? Love them, they're staying
IMG_0038.JPG

I've never seen hex grips like these before! All I can read on them so for is Japan.

Lysett saddle
IMG_9998.JPG

I'm still in cleaning and sorting mode so I don't know what the wheels or hubs are.
Pedals don't seem correct.

IMG_9794.JPG

None of these issues bother me because I will ditch the crank, wheels and probably the derailleur and that's really what I'm posting about. I have no idea how to adjust the derailleur if I were to decide to keep it.

Everything I've read and seen call out Huet Alvit rear derailleur and, though it looks like it, it reads Schwinn Approved.
IMG_9780.JPG

Is it missing a screw where that hole is?

A few more overall photos.
500842-1627003153-333610.jpeg

500842-1627091593-423673.jpeg

500842-1656164913-561499.jpeg

Thank you for any info or advice you can share.
Love the CABE.

I drove an hour and a half to buy a nice 73 Super Sport (orange!) and he also had this poor fellow.
View attachment 1754789

$25, had to have it.
I read through a few posts by @HARPO and @GTs58 and got up to speed a little on what it is and should have as components.
It's obviously seen better days. Front derailleur? Nope, looks like the shifter mount was broken off at some point and they removed the other two rings or...
View attachment 1754804

Has the AVA stem but tourist bars? Love them, they're staying
View attachment 1754816

I've never seen hex grips like these before! All I can read on them so for is Japan.

Lysett saddle
View attachment 1754821

I'm still in cleaning and sorting mode so I don't know what the wheels or hubs are.
Pedals don't seem correct.

View attachment 1754828
None of these issues bother me because I will ditch the crank, wheels and probably the derailleur and that's really what I'm posting about. I have no idea how to adjust the derailleur if I were to decide to keep it.

Everything I've read and seen call out Huet Alvit rear derailleur and, though it looks like it, it reads Schwinn Approved.
View attachment 1754836

Is it missing a screw where that hole is?

A few more overall photos.
View attachment 1754837
View attachment 1754838
View attachment 1754839

Thank you for any info or advice you can share.
Love the CABE.
Put that thing back stock! You’ll be amazed how well they ride. Just my opinion though. Do what you wish haha. Nice find.

I kind of like it the way it is! Replace cables / brake pads, true the wheels if needed and just ride it and have fun. Looks like someone bent the old drop bar levers so that they would work with the tourist bars. Check how much of that AVA stem is in the fork - they usually did not have minimum insertion marks - at least 2 1/2 inches should be inside the fork.

My '63 Varsity had the same Lycett saddle

On second thought, if you are going to use this as a regular rider, I would replace the AVA stem with a vintage SR or Nitto for safety reasons. I don't trust vintage French stems for regular use. Keep the AVA on the side in case you sell it in the future and the buyer wants the original parts

This one looks like a 1963 Continental sports tourist. 🙃 I'm really amazed someone could actually bend those lever handles in a complete reverse position without snapping them.
The rear derailleur is an Allvit, just a later model 68+ that had Schwinn approved stamped on the outer housing. The 63 would have a 14-28t freewheel and yours looks like a few teeth shy of 28 judging by the rim on the spoke protector. The 63 Conti did use the Union rat traps that the Varsity used in 1960-65, those are later issue.

This one looks like a 1963 Continental sports tourist. 🙃 I'm really amazed someone could actually bend those lever handles in a complete reverse position without snapping them.
The rear derailleur is an Allvit, just a later model 68+ that had Schwinn approved stamped on the outer housing. The 63 would have a 14-28t freewheel and yours looks like a few teeth shy of 28 judging by the rim on the spoke protector. The 63 Conti did use the Union rat traps that the Varsity used in 1960-65, those are later issue.
Bless you.

Back