When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

headbadge rarity

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So I just learned something. That most badges never really stood for anything to do with the bike????

These are the two rarest I've had my paws on.
SH105177-1.jpg

SH103646-1.jpg

Greens07, did you just score that badge off of eBay? If so I now have the fork from that bike. Neat badge.

As to how the badges were used, it seems to be somewhat random. For the Heavyweights 46 - 64 book I've done a bunch of research and purchased far too much original catalog material, and found some neat stuff. The hardware store bikes (and likely other private re-sellers) sometimes came with some goofy badging. One catalog page I found ('48 - '50, someplace in there) shows semi-equipped Schwinns as Excelsiors and the bare-bones bikes later named "Spitfire" badged as Flying Star. And cycle distribution houses (Chicago Cycle Supply, etc) would re-badge Schwinn bikes to your taste, you could use stock badges (Marathon, American Beauty, etc) or go with your own design.

The Excelsior badge shows up all up and down the line, Phantom, etc. So no real rhyme or reason to it that I can tell.

If it hasn't been mentioned, Majestic.

Also, years back on eBay there was a neat maroon girl's Hornet with a dealer badge from Kalamazoo. Was pretty broke at the time or I would have taken a run at it. I grew up in Kalamazoo, and although I don't miss the place, I still think it would be neat to have a Schwinn badge from there. Ah, things to do.

Cheers, Geoff

The Lazarus no, I step back for a friend to go after it but he failed lol I should of tho it's a nice badge.

Greens07, did you just score that badge off of eBay? If so I now have the fork from that bike. Neat badge.

As to how the badges were used, it seems to be somewhat random. For the Heavyweights 46 - 64 book I've done a bunch of research and purchased far too much original catalog material, and found some neat stuff. The hardware store bikes (and likely other private re-sellers) sometimes came with some goofy badging. One catalog page I found ('48 - '50, someplace in there) shows semi-equipped Schwinns as Excelsiors and the bare-bones bikes later named "Spitfire" badged as Flying Star. And cycle distribution houses (Chicago Cycle Supply, etc) would re-badge Schwinn bikes to your taste, you could use stock badges (Marathon, American Beauty, etc) or go with your own design.

The Excelsior badge shows up all up and down the line, Phantom, etc. So no real rhyme or reason to it that I can tell.

If it hasn't been mentioned, Majestic.

Also, years back on eBay there was a neat maroon girl's Hornet with a dealer badge from Kalamazoo. Was pretty broke at the time or I would have taken a run at it. I grew up in Kalamazoo, and although I don't miss the place, I still think it would be neat to have a Schwinn badge from there. Ah, things to do.

Cheers, Geoff

I'm noticing that there is a blurring between rare and desirable. many of the badges shown aren't terribly rare, though they are desirable.
I've seen a few Northwest Patrol badges in person, and I've never even been to one of the big shows. so which ones are truly rare, and not just desirable?

Ive seen...

Ive seen schwinn dx bikes with big ol round badges too...cant remember the name but it was a big badge

What about these...?

We have the Excelsior badge on both of our matching his 'n hers B-6's...
IMG_1183-1.jpg

IMG_1184-1.jpg

Flyer badge is for sale.....PM me

Last edited:
I'm noticing that there is a blurring between rare and desirable. many of the badges shown aren't terribly rare, though they are desirable.
I've seen a few Northwest Patrol badges in person, and I've never even been to one of the big shows. so which ones are truly rare, and not just desirable?

I can't agree more.... rare and desireable can share nothing in common.

The teen's giant, and I mean really big, "World badge" is probably the rarest.
I have only seen one in all the years I've been doing this.
As for badges being on more deluxe bikes, etc, Schwinn is a hard company to say that about.
I have a badge for the Omaha 30's/40's dealer, a Maurice Frank badge.
Mr. Frank sold every type of Schwinn available and put his badge on them.
To me and what I have seen, Huffman and Westfield were the only companies to use different badges on their top bikes.

Back