When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery bike, to me

-

anklepick

On Training Wheels
Hello Cabe! I'm new here & this is my first post! I've enjoyed cycling my whole life and this site looks really interesting. I bought two bikes 30+ years ago for $20, and now that I retired a month ago I pulled this one out of the garage rafters. I need help identifying it. There's no head badge. The chain is in good shape. The rims didn't match, and the one that looked maybe original was pretzeled. The grips match a pair I saw on an auction site listed as belonging to a 1950's Columbia Fire Arrow. From what I've read on the Cabe I think the rear hub is from 1938? Front hub is hard to read but is stamped "Bridgestone", with a keystone in the middle of the name. The frame looks like it was painted with a large paintbrush, and might have been red originally. Also wondering about originality of handlebars/stem & saddle. Any information I can get would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_2263.JPG
IMG_2247.JPG
IMG_2248.JPG
IMG_2250.JPG
IMG_2252.JPG
IMG_2254.JPG
IMG_2257.JPG
IMG_2258.JPG
IMG_2259.JPG
Thank you!

Like Rusty said CWC made last quarter of 1948. Likely badged as a Roadmaster. The rear hub is ‘38 and not original to that bike.

That's all new information to me! Thanks everybody for your help. I was hoping that the frame matched the hub, but it's still the oldest bike I have. It's prewar, but it's the Korean War.
The one old bent rim it came with measured 22-3/4" x 1-1/2". Is that the size that would have been on this bike originally?
Also, this bike has a 26 tooth chainring & a 10 tooth cog. Would that be roughly the same gear inches as a modern 52/20? Just wondering how it's going to pedal once I put wheels on it.

Welcome to the Cabe. The answers will roll in. Lots of experts here and helpful guidance. Solving mysteries is part of the fun. It's easy to buy a bike that is 100% correct and just ride and enjoy. I do that with some, others take more time and work, and help. You choose the path or take many. Now that you are retired, the sky's the limit. Good luck!

Welcome to the Cabe. The answers will roll in. Lots of experts here and helpful guidance. Solving mysteries is part of the fun. It's easy to buy a bike that is 100% correct and just ride and enjoy. I do that with some, others take more time and work, and help. You choose the path or take many. Now that you are retired, the sky's the limit. Good luck!
Thanks Nashman! Really looking forward to it

Your bike looks like it would have used 26" wheels, referring to the outside diameter of the tire. The rim diameter on mine measures around 22 1/2 inches (by eye with the tire still on it.) The other common size is 24", but the rims on those would be even smaller. Tires for the 26" rims have a bead seat diameter (where the inside diameter of the tire seats against the rim) of 559 mm (= 22 inches) and this will be marked on any modern tire along with the width, also in mm. The width on yours would have been 2.125 inches or 54 mm.
Your chain wheel is for a skip tooth chain, which aren't made any more, so if you're going to fix this up to be a rider, that's something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
that's a cool bike. a raw canvas you can do whatever you want, leave it crusty, paint and chrome, whatever.

everything you need can be found here in the classifieds or ebay. any questions can be answered here too.

lets see the other bike.

Your bike looks like it would have used 26" wheels, referring to the outside diameter of the tire. The rim diameter on mine measures around 22 1/2 inches (by eye with the tire still on it.) The other common size is 24", but the rims on those would be even smaller. Tires for the 26" rims have a bead seat diameter (where the inside diameter of the tire seats against the rim) of 559 mm (= 22 inches) and this will be marked on any modern tire along with the width, also in mm. The width on yours would have been 2.125 inches or 54 mm.
Your chain wheel is for a skip tooth chain, which aren't made any more, so if you're going to fix this up to be a rider, that's something to keep in mind.

Thanks for the info oilit. Once I do decide to build these wheels I’ll be relying heavily on YouTube. Only time I ever tried that they did not come out round.

Back