When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grips with jewels/ reflectors on the ends

-

Grey Ghost

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I have seen some vintage 50’s Columbia bikes with either jewels or reflectors in the grip ends. Some are flat ends, which basically look like bar end plugs, and some look like torpedo ends, maybe an extension of the grip itself.

Colors vary from blue, to green on one side and red on the other.

Were these stock on bikes or were they aftermarket?
I don’t even know what these are called. I’ve searched the usual suspects using various terms and am coming up with nothing.

Anybody familiar with these?

Thanks in advance for any information.

-----

there were some drop bar Zeus brand cycles from Spain imported around 1970 where the handlebar end plugs exhibited reflectors

unfortunately the plugs have no markings; never learned who the maker was

-----

did they look like these?

IMG_8137.JPG

No.
They were either coke bottle shaped or rocket shaped with a pointy reflector or jewel.

Not sure of the dates when these were primarily used. I’m wondering if they were earlier than the model date of the bike, 1952, that I was thinking of putting them on. If they predate that year by a lot I don’t want to put them on my bike.

Back