When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does re-plating a part make it weaker?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hate to admit it but....this has happened to me twice now. First time kinda made since as it happened to a rusty and crusty '40 straight bar...Yes @fordmike65...a Schwinn...sigh! Same point of failure.
tempImageBPKapz.jpg

I used to ride with a big guy (280+). On 2 separate occasions, he snapped post war Schwinn cranks in the same fashion. I wonder if Schwinn hardened there cranks, as I have had quite a few non Schwinn cranks that bend🤔

I used to ride with a big guy (280+). On 2 separate occasions, he snapped post war Schwinn cranks in the same fashion. I wonder if Schwinn hardened there cranks, as I have had quite a few non Schwinn cranks that bend🤔
That’s cause there’s more schwinn s out there
All bikes can have this issue with out the proper care
and maintenance. There’s no invisible Cows out there !

You could answer your question by simply taking a file to test the metal surface hardness. I do not believe they were case hardened.

Hardening would cause another set of problems. Hardened metal breaks "clean", think the way glass breaks.

Just a thought.
John

Back