When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored Double Drum brake 1949 "Excelsior" Red Phantom NOS parts build...

-
Some pix of a fun restoration I finished up some 20 odd years ago for a Calif collector..
1949 frame date Red Phantom with front and rear expander brakes. NOS early wire
activated taillight, NOS Typhoon USA tires. Very unusual 1st version of the Phantom
saddle which were black out of the gate with the studs and center reflector jewel.
No reproduction parts used on this one aside from the brake cables and I believe?
the battery holder/tray under the headlight lid.
Sweet sweet bike, just imagine 50's kids rolling around on these things straight out of
the showroom ...mind blowing!
Enjoy overkill pix post

View attachment 1772648

View attachment 1772649

View attachment 1772650

View attachment 1772651

View attachment 1772652

View attachment 1772653

View attachment 1772654

View attachment 1772655

View attachment 1772656

View attachment 1772657

View attachment 1772658

View attachment 1772659

View attachment 1772660

View attachment 1772661

View attachment 1772662

View attachment 1772663

View attachment 1772664

View attachment 1772665kill pix post
That would have had to be one lucky kid!

Hot digity damn! One of the reasons for so much Schwinn envy out there!!!! Now that’s a bike for the majority not the minority. The kid who had that in the fifties was turning heads. You don’t have to like collecting bikes or even be into bikes to want one of those.

I'm new! How did you resolve the matter of the fender brace rivets? Thank you.
They also make a tool called a rivet squeezer you can buy on eBay.. I’m more in the camp of the rivet screws.. They look the same on the top and the backside side is not really visible.. I know many of the guys on the cabe use the correct and in some cases nos rivets that need to be pressed in place..

Last edited:
the easy way is to go online to ebay and you can buy rivit looking tiny screws with nuts made specifically for bike fenders.
Thank you!

I have a very nice 1958 Opalescent Red Phantom. I'm the second owner. The first owner was proud of the bike and treated it with respect. When he replaced the front fender braces, he reattached them with chromed round head slotted screws with nuts and lock washers. Bob's restoration is so comprehensive that I imagined he probably reattached his braces using NOS rivets but I didn't know so I thought I would just ask.

Bob, that's just about the best looking thing I think I've ever seen. I feel fortunate to have been able to see it.

They also make tool called a rivet squeezer you can buy on eBay.. I’m more in the camp of the rivet screws.. They look the same on the top and the backside side is not really visible.. I know many of the guys on the cabe use the correct and in some cases nos rivets that need to be pressed in place..
Thank you for that information!

Back