When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identify my tandem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Again, re. the racing frame hypothesis, the lamp bracket on the fork may discount that theory; although it could have been built for a 24 hour time trial I guess, anything is possible as so many options were on offer!?!?!?

To illustrate my point (pun intended) on the difficulty of identifying such things, here are several catalogue images from manufacturers featuring tandems built with
'Chater-Lea' fittings:

Edward Salt.....
View attachment 1792467

Joe Cooke, 'Imperial Petrel'.....
View attachment 1792468

P, Ellis, 'Champion'.....
View attachment 1792469

Buckley Bros.....
View attachment 1792470

Merlin.....
View attachment 1792471

View attachment 1792472

Carpenter.....
View attachment 1792484

E.F. Russ.....
View attachment 1792474

View attachment 1792475

Selbach......
View attachment 1792476

F.W. Evans.....
View attachment 1792477

View attachment 1792478

Stephens.....
View attachment 1792480

View attachment 1792479

...all practically identical frames, all built with 'C-L' fittings, all of them contemporaneous with your example, and each other.
There were many, many more examples.

I would like to see a photo of the "cantilever" brakes you mentioned, as these may be original fittings, another possible identifying feature.

(Images from V-CC library).
I am most probably mistaken about the racing. The tube's are just so thin.
When I picked up the bike, it came with 2 Terry's tennis clamps in the tub of parts.
Will post cantilever pictures and info stamped on them.

Unfortunately the tub with all the parts had no top and rain water would be held to it evaporated.

20230223_100549.jpg

20230223_100833.jpg

20230223_101313.jpg

20230223_101347.jpg

20230223_101350.jpg

Brakes look like 'Resilion' Cantilever model to me.
They are listed as the standard fitting on many of the tandems I posted images of earlier.....
Screenshot_20230223-172407_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20230223-172357_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20230223-172417_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20230223-172440_Drive.jpg

...might be an idea to ask the moderators to move this thread to another forum, as was mentioned earlier.

That is the brake system, have more of the parts but only for one side.
This is the first forum I have joined. Not computer savvy along these lines. Can do a search but that is it.
How do I ask them to move it.

My tandem friend got back to me with his opinion on your tandem and this is what he thinks.
Due to the fact that it has a Chater-Lea headset
he is of the opinion that your tandem was indeed built to order from the Chater-Lea Fittings catalogue.

The original owner could have ordered a set of fittings (lugs, bottom bracket, headset etc, possibly frame tubing too) and had it built up by a local workshop, or commissioned Chater-Lea to arrange all of this work and then deliver the complete frame to the original owner.

As stated before, and illustrated by the period adverts posted by @New Mexico Brant (post #26
above) , Chater-Lea didn't build frames themselves as such, but you could order a frame from them built to one of their numbered designs.

Apparently they produced two double gent's style tandems featuring your tubing configuration.
Here they are from the 1931 catalogue.....
Screenshot_20230224-180855_Drive.jpg

...you could order a 'Model 14', or a 'Model 12B'.
The only difference between them is the choice of a single-sided drivetrain, or a cross-over drivetrain.

Your example has a frame designed to accommodate a single-sided drivetrain as the cut-out in the chainstay shows, and if you zoom in on the above image, you can see this illustrated.....
Screenshot_20230224-180922_Drive.jpg

...from this detail I think it's reasonable to think that you have a tandem built to the Chater-Lea 'Model 12B' design.
Here are the specifications for that model.....
Screenshot_20230224-181233_Drive.jpg

Still no clue as to the actual builder, and chances are we'll never know, but you have a top quality machine nonetheless.

(Images from V-CC library).

Back