When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help sorting out this Monark.

-

Metalman

Look Ma, No Hands!
I picked this up today at a swap meet for $30. As you can tell it has the serial plate on the bottom bracket. Serial number is A0038335. According to the serial number data I found on here by John, it shouldn't have a serial number lower than 118106. So, what year is it? I'm finding a lot of discrepancies on Monark bikes.

20230311_135715.jpg

20230311_135923.jpg

Your 24" bike is prewar and is typical of '40-1 serail number placement. Postwar has the data plate and like said above is just mis-stamped.
Hey Shawn, do you think that 24” prewar could be a ladies frame that was modified? I’ve never seen one like that from the factory.

Your 24" bike is prewar and is typical of '40-1 serail number placement. Postwar has the data plate and like said above is just mis-stamped.
I dated it from 38-41 by identifying the New Departure brake arm. So, that makes sense. You're the first person to acknowledge the serial number on the rear. EVERYTHING I have read states it should be on the bottom bracket, But I've seen at least one other stamped here.

Hey Shawn, do you think that 24” prewar could be a ladies frame that was modified? I’ve never seen one like that from the factory.
I've been in the collision/restoration industry since 1974. I fabricate/repair parts for cars worth $75k - $1.3M. ("Metalman") I can pick apart just about anything not factory. I can assure you that nothing has been modified. It has some repairs from the frame cracking behind the kickstand mount and that's it. I stripped paint from that vertical bar and it's not been added either. But, it does draw questions since no one has seen one like it.

Last edited:
Back