When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ideale saddle repair

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesper

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I have an Ideale "Daniel Rebour" leather saddle (number is very difficult to read; maybe #134 model) that is damaged. I had purchased it many years ago and it had a couple rivets replaced although I do not know why (no tearing at any rivet). The leather is in very good condition other than scuffing and surface crazing. One rail has separated from the cantle while the other is loose. It wasn't really noticeable while clamped on the post, but now is unuseable due to the separated rail. The cantle is aluminum with the rail swaged into it and an alloy sleeve bound to the rail end. That sleeve is press or shrink fit to the rail and does nor appear to be welded to the cantle.
Does anyone have any idea as to the possibility of repairing this saddle and how to do it, or is it done with? I would still like to use it since it is comfortable; but I am unsure as to the feasibility of a repair.

20230316_045034~2.jpg

20230316_045224~2.jpg

You could try JB weld
I thought of that, but given the stresses involved and my experience with their product years ago I did not think it would be viable (seemed to be rather brittle). They might make something which could provide a more durable fix at this point in time, so I will take your suggestion and look at their product line-up to see if they have something different than what I have used in the past.
Another option is industrial strength epoxy glue, but I have no experience with using that in this type of situation.
My other thought was a high temperature solder which would allow me to do the fix without removing the leather. I already have a high temp soldering iron/gun so I can try it and see if it would hold. Either way, with JB weld, solder, or glue I have nothing the lose.
I figure my last option would be to dismantle the saddle and have it welded, at which point I would replace with all copper rivets as it had originally, but I am trying to be economical on the repair and I figure it would be the most time consuming and costly method (I do not weld; yet!).

Find a GOOD TIG welder. That is the only method that will last. Ask around locally and ask around here if anyone knows someone. This is a the kind of job a welder/fabricator will do for the challenge and pride, not just sticking two pieces of metal together. You will have to strip the leather off of the frame. Is it a valuable saddle?

Find a GOOD TIG welder. That is the only method that will last. Ask around locally and ask around here if anyone knows someone. This is a the kind of job a welder/fabricator will do for the challenge and pride, not just sticking two pieces of metal together. You will have to strip the leather off of the frame. Is it a valuable saddle?
Thanks, good advice. I think that is best if I can get it done for about $25 or so (I would still need to buy new copper rivets; not sure of cost). It would cost about $75 to replace it with the same model "Rebour" style in the same approx. condition (with good rails). It probably cost me about half that much years ago, but they are much harder to come by now. Ebay pricing would probably be at $90-$100 or so (plus shipping).

Back