When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best spray paint to simulate a chrome finish?

-
Silver paint always looks like silver paint.
Brother Andrew speaks the truth. The question to consider is whether you need to replicate chrome on your current build. Would something that looks like aluminum or zinc do the trick? It's okay to mix different finishes. For example, older bikes often had zinc fender braces and spokes along with chrome bits. Newer bikes often have aluminum components along with chrome bits. Have fun!

Silver paint always looks like silver paint. There are some chrome like specialty paints for model car folks, but they don't hold up to wear and sunlight. SOME powder coats can look almost chrome like, but again, don't hold up to wear and sunlight. JC Whitney probably sold "Gleaming Chrome in a Can", but it probably didn't work.
Yes, I remember the " Closest Thing To Chrome" spray paint cans from the 1980's. Hah, they did not look anything close to chrome.

My buddy has over 5K model cars and he has alot of plastic parts rechromed, I don't think it's cheap and I don't know who does it but I can ask him if you want. Its probably only worth it on valuable models. I know he bought a Model car bumper for $80 just to have it rechromed which I thought was crazy. But he's into models like some Cabers are into bikes.
Also heard of that. That is a potentially expensive option. I may just try the spray bombs, at least for now.

If you use a spray bomb like "bumper chrome" paint the part gloss black first. You can get more of a stainless steel look. but it's not very tough.

Brother Andrew speaks the truth. The question to consider is whether you need to replicate chrome on your current build. Would something that looks like aluminum or zinc do the trick? It's okay to mix different finishes. For example, older bikes often had zinc fender braces and spokes along with chrome bits. Newer bikes often have aluminum components along with chrome bits. Have fun!

Well said Brothers Andrews...😁😁😁!!

Back