When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat post clamp size for 1953 Schwinn Panther (13/16" seat post)

-
How do you like the roller brake? I was considering the 8c (coaster)

I didn’t have an option of original paint. The frame came to me in red primer so I had it powder coated. It really is stunning, and my powder coater is top notch. That being said, my ‘83 sidewinder is going to be my first home paint project. Fingers crossed.
Roller brake works great, man. This bike stops on a dime. Found this hub used on eBay.

Well, it's on there. Had to cinch it down to the limits of it's capability. Seems like it's going to work, but I wish it was just a hair smaller. Might have to do the aluminum can shim trick. This one does have a little lip on top, that will hide the shim. But I'll run it like this and see if I get any movement.

16790920181864398378762372153096.jpg

1679092106913528932030616648253.jpg

Well, it's on there. Had to cinch it down to the limits of it's capability. Seems like it's going to work, but I wish it was just a hair smaller. Might have to do the aluminum can shim trick. This one does have a little lip on top, that will hide the shim. But I'll run it like this and see if I get any movement.

View attachment 1805827

View attachment 1805830
I’m really surprised they didn’t leave more room between the two inside faces. looks like a design flaw or manufacturing flaw. It looks nice closed, but that almost renders that clamp useless but nice looking. If it was mine I’d take an angle grinder with a cut off blade and mill down the face of those two faces just a pinch.

I’m really surprised they didn’t leave more room between the two inside faces. looks like a design flaw or manufacturing flaw. It looks nice closed, but that almost renders that clamp useless but nice looking. If it was mine I’d take an angle grinder with a cut off blade and mill down the face of those two faces just a pinch.
I thought about that, but I'm afraid it would chip the finish and ugly up the whole area. Seems like it's gonna work as is though.

I did the trial and error method probably 3+ years ago. I ordered like 3 or 4 different 1” seat post clamps and they were all too big. I used to have access to a QBP account so I would order a lot of stuff when I was doing many custom builds. The only thing I found that works is the Wald seat post clamp. Not a looker but works well. I also like to use a quick release with the factory clamp when the notch on the clamp is boogered up. They make a quick release with a bigger diameter bolt that fits very nicely in the factory clamp. I have painted them black before when they are badly pitted.

Here’s what I came up with. It’s actually sunlite not wald branded. I don’t recall now if I actually used one of these clamps on a final build, but I’m pretty sure I dry fit it years ago when I bought them. I was looking for a quick and easy option for frame up Ebike builds that were powder coated and had all new parts.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

View attachment 1805827

View attachment 1805830
Update, I got a chance to test ride the bike and the seat post definitely moves. This clamp will need a shim. My life is ruined. Have a good day.

Update, I got a chance to test ride the bike and the seat post definitely moves. This clamp will need a shim. My life is ruined. Have a good day.
That's BS!
I would contact Pork Chop and tell him his clamp is no good and it won't clamp a 1" seat tube and see what he says.

It looks like your clamp is open a little at the seat tube but it's closed tight at the back end. That's really a poor design for any kind of clamp. Why isn't it like a normal clamp where you have room to cinch that sucker up.

Last edited:
Back