When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Penetrating oils.

-

Rivnut

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I know that this has previously had much discussion. I’ve expressed my own results but I’ve now found sone documented proof that I’ve been doing the right thing all along - saving a ton of moolah $$$$ and getting the best results.
41DDFA7A-5169-44F0-8890-C832AA119D54.jpeg

Question: how many of you will try this and how many will continue to use what you’ve been using? 😎

Last edited:
From a scientific perspective, great solution.

From a practical "in the shop use" perspective, not so sure.

The Acetone will evaporate quickly, so you would need to mix your brew every time you need to lubricate a nut.

John
I keep a solution in an oil squirt can. The lid seals, just like the can the acetone comes in, so there’s no evaporation, just like there’s no evaporation from the acetone can.

I have yet to come across an old bike or car that has been "scientifically rusted" in a lab. the lab experiment only shows how it worked under those exact conditions and has nothing to do with reality.

I removed a dogleg crank from a frame that must have been buried in mud for 30 years using my giant vice, assorted hammers, assorted levers and PB Blaster.
soaked it every night for 3-4 days.

I doubt very much the people who did that experiment could have done it at all.

I was first turned on to this by a video on YouTube.

I questioned myself before posting this that there would be a bunch of doubting Thomases who would bad mouth this without ever giving it a try. Should have listened to myself. It probably took you the 3 - 4 days because you used a product that appears so low on the list.

some of us like to think for ourselves. this was a science experiment where the parameters are not duplicated in our world of old rusty bikes. our bikes are mostly at least 50 years old, many over 100. you cannot duplicate 20-30-40 years of poor storage in a lab.

this experiment would only count for minor rusted parts.

I was first turned on to this by a video on YouTube.

I questioned myself before posting this that there would be a bunch of doubting Thomases who would bad mouth this without ever giving it a try. Should have listened to myself. It probably took you the 3 - 4 days because you used a product that appears so low on the list.
The Hamb has discussed this many times and the consensus is that it works.

John

Back