When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'45 Dx

-

Boris

Old fat tired rider
Got this bike all torn apart now. Started with the wheels yesterday, and amazingly, all double butted spokes were removed without too much effort. I soaked 'em in a citric acid bath and all are salvageable. Another soaking today and I'll call it good. But I did lose the cad plating. Haven't decided if I'll clear coat or linseed oil to preserve bare metal. Still experimenting with best way to clean this bike. Not seeing miraculous results on the few test areas with my traditional methods. Think this might be a tough one. Any suggestions besides WD40 and 0000 steel wool on the white in particular?

Edit: Going to go with linseed oil for lubrication on the spokes rather than sealing in potential rust with clear coat.

'45 DX BEFORE.jpg

Last edited:
Clean-up is a bit slow going for now. But I think I'm going to take liberties with this bike and deviate from all original. I've got a much nicer crankset and sprocket, although not a dogleg. Chrome on this one sucks. I've got a really nice set of dulled S-2's that I'd like to use. And it finally dawned on me that this would be a great time to use the locking springer fork I'd been hanging onto for years. Paint is a perfect match!!! Gonna have to find another matching front fender for the fork though. I'm pretty sure that I've got a seat that would be compatible. As I do with everything, I will keep all original parts for the next owner if I ever sell.
IMG_6879.jpg

Last edited:
Clean-up is a bit slow going for now. But I think I'm going to do the unthinkable and deviate from all original. I've got a much nicer crankset and sprocket, although not a dogleg. Chrome on this one sucks. I've got a really nice set of dulled S-2's that I'd like to use. and it finally dawned on me that this would be a great time to use the locking springer fork I'd been hanging onto for years. Paint is a perfect match!!! Gonna have to fid another matching front fender for the fork though. I'm pretty sure that I've got a seat that would be complimentary. As I do with everything, I will keep all original parts for the next owner if I ever sell.
View attachment 1810863
Seems to be going quickly here! I'd say use the springer.

WOW beautiful!!! Almost too nice! Might have to contact him for tips for future reference (unless this is how he makes his money). Could you PM me his contact info?
I was just looking for his location and some of his builds that he had on eBay. He is in Oregon, Salem. He's on Facebook too.

Last edited:
Back