When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best grease

-

AS-1

I live for the CABE
What is the best grease to use on a Bendix 2 speed kickback "renovation?"
Thank you!
Kit

What is the best grease to use on a Bendix 2 speed kickback "renovation?"
Thank you!
Kit
Lightweight grease, and "very little" quantity.

The tubes of the short fiber disc brake wheel bearing grease are fine that are stocked at any auto parts store. One tube is enough grease to do a dozen full bike rebuilds.

John

Lightweight grease, and "very little" quantity.

The tubes of the short fiber disc brake wheel bearing grease are fine that are stocked at any auto parts store. One tube is enough grease to do a dozen full bike rebuilds.

John
Thank you, John! Do you prefer one brand?

An NLGI 1 grease like John Deere corn head grease works great. Acts like a grease at rest and an oil in operation.
corn-head-grease-jpg.jpg

Thank you, John! Do you prefer one brand?
No, just whatever is on sale. It just needs be lightweight, short fiber, not the old style long fiber wheel bearing grease like your grandfather used. The stuff marked for disk brake wheel bearings seems to stick good, stays in place, and is lightweight. About the only way to screw it up is to "over apply".

John

No, just whatever is on sale. It just needs be lightweight, short fiber, not the old style long fiber wheel bearing grease like your grandfather used. The stuff marked for disk brake wheel bearings seems to stick good, stays in place, and is lightweight. About the only way to screw it up is to "over apply".

John
John and Greg, et al.,

I disassembled the hub and cleaned it thoroughly. I soaked all of the components in PB blaster for 48 hours and blew them out under pressure. I soaked them for 24 hours in lacquer thinner and blew them out under pressure. I rinsed them off with WD-40. As I reassembled them I followed the lucrication guidance in the Schwinn Bicycle Service Manual. The reassembly was effortless and fast. It runs out perfectly in granny but is making metallic chattering noises in high. The brake works perfectly. On the bench, there is no resistance to rotation in either gear. There is no play in the hub/bearing interface. On the road, it shifts perfectly.

Where is the noise coming from?

Best regards,

Kit

John and Greg, et al.,

I disassembled the hub and cleaned it thoroughly. I soaked all of the components in PB blaster for 48 hours and blew them out under pressure. I soaked them for 24 hours in lacquer thinner and blew them out under pressure. I rinsed them off with WD-40. As I reassembled them I followed the lucrication guidance in the Schwinn Bicycle Service Manual. The reassembly was effortless and fast. It runs out perfectly in granny but is making metallic chattering noises in high. The brake works perfectly. On the bench, there is no resistance to rotation in either gear. There is no play in the hub/bearing interface. On the road, it shifts perfectly.

Where is the noise coming from?

Best regards,

Kit
The 2 speed hubs "growl " in low gear. I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to. It sounds like you cleaned , greased and assembled it correctly and everything is working properly. My guess is it is the normal sound of the 2 speed and I'm not really sure why that is, maybe @Schwinn Sales West can give some in site.

The 2 speed hubs "growl " in low gear. I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to. It sounds like you cleaned , greased and assembled it correctly and everything is working properly. My guess is it is the normal sound of the 2 speed and I'm not really sure why that is, maybe @Schwinn Sales West can give some in site.
I think I'll put it on the bench tonight and pull it down. My curiosity is killing me. I'll let you know😃.

Kit

Back