When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh Canadian ?

-
im the guy with the triumph camelback

my understanding that triumph made this bike in the mid 30's?
i have a perry rear hub

Yeah, I just looked up Triumph on Wikipedia. I guess I was pretty wrong about their history. They go back to the 1880:eek: I wonder which company I was thinking of when I wrote that...or what I was smoking.

I think mine is more likely from late 50`s early 60`s like to no more info on that girls bike posted in the other forum.

mine

IMG_20140124_160035.jpeg

28 wheels/ drumbrakes
upgraded from cottered bb

I really don't know. Mine is the only one I've seen in person, and there's very little information to be found on the web. It took some digging to determine that it's a Canadian made raleigh model 99 badged as a Triumph.

Looks very similar to my '63 Triumph 3spd

View attachment 133994

Interesting bike. It has the rear facing drops and long wheelbase of a full roadster, but a camel back frame and small size of a juvenile type Raleigh.

I tend to group these in the Raleigh "export" market line. The internet is awash in US/UK spec Raleigh Sports and DL-1 bicycles. However, Raleigh made many "oddball" models for markets outside Britain and the US. Raleigh was adept at adapting their bicycles to the needs of each particular country. For example, last year I refurbished and eventually sold a 1965 Raleigh Dawn that had rod and drum brakes, a Sports-style frame, and chaincase set up. That would be unheard of for a 1965 US-spec bike, but apparently popular and common in Denmark (oddball Raleighs are even still popular there: http://www.bikeshedva.blogspot.com/2012/10/still-going-old-style.html).

I've heard of the Raleigh Canadian and seen one or two others. That dark red with the white fenders and chain guard seem to have been a feature of them. I tend to think of them as being like the Denmark Dawn and other bikes made with oddball configurations for different markets. I guess this was Canada's own variation of "export" Raleigh. I use quotes around export because Raleigh actually had factories in some of these countries, including Canada. So it may have been made in Canada, though "export" in the sense it was a Raleigh never made for the British or US market.

Last edited:
Back