When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1912 Racycle on ebay (now ended) & ebay craziness (specifically a 50's DX tank)

-

Gary Mc

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
OK Guys, I don't get it. I saw a fifties 20" Schwinn DX tank sell for $1900 on ebay today & no one even bid on this original paint 1912 Racycle at $1700. I thought it was a pretty good deal, let's see original paint, original seat, original Kelly Bars, 5-hole large chainring, springer fork, & it didn't sell. I almost bid on it last minute but too many projects already. Had a few been completed I would have jumped all over it.

So Racycle guys, what's wrong with this bike & was the asking price too much???????? Educate me as one of these I hope at some point will be in my possession. I didn't post until it ended as I thought someone out there might already be watching it and didn't want to ruin anyone's chances.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-and-Un...sd3v+tStVf2bfhYej3bpVps=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Your a good guy Gary, no matter what they say about you ;)
Blue and Lawrence must be on vacation or something. I guess Schwinn bikes are more commercially popular than TOC beauties.

That fork alone on the Racycle is a pretty penny, not to mention the original paint with some pin-striping and decals left, Kelly bars, monster sprocket, nice saddle, correct cranks... and that FORK!!!

Your a good guy Gary, no matter what they say about you ;)
Blue and Lawrence must be on vacation or something. I guess Schwinn bikes are more commercially popular than TOC beauties.

Nick, They probably took a vacation to finish their Racycle projects LOL. I understand Schwinn's are much more popular but I still just don't get it. I was definitely born in the wrong era & I'm not trying to slam Schwinn's, there are some gorgeous ones but $1900 for a tank? I also am looking to get schooled in what I am missing about this Racycle.

That fork alone on the Racycle is a pretty penny, not to mention the original paint with some pin-striping and decals left, Kelly bars, monster sprocket, nice saddle, correct cranks... and that FORK!!!

I agree Chris, that's what I saw too....

Had I been sitting better myself, this one would have joined my other Racycle here, I alerted Blue to this one mid week, I didn't hear back, he has been very busy lately and has had some computer problems too. This one would have been a good catch considering the paint etc....

Full tooth pacemaker sprockets are really rare too. Thats actually a quite fair price, considering what you get. Ive got so many projects, including a racycle that need help beyond what I can feed them... for now...

Looks like someone overcleaned the bike, if it were more original patina it would probably be more appealing. Logically I see the value as a sum of its parts, emotionally its lack luster.
Just my take on it.

Last edited:
That's one of them chainless bikes..... I like how the big sprocket is half inch pitch, and the one on the hub is one inch.....

Back