When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Excelsior bicycles

-
I wonder who bought out his sundries business... I'm thinking either Mead or Chicago Cycle Supply would be the most likely. I'll have to do more digging to find that one out.

Just found this as to who was in on the liquidation of the Sundries portion of the business.

1911 clip:

8485671383_c51cccb31c_h-1.jpg

And as far as manufacturing talent, Robie had a good core crew who could make anything you needed. This is another clip from the 1905 article which states they often will make a part if it is discontinued and not available in a floor with all the lathes and stamping equipment to do so. (looks like they are making chain rings... or copying some)

8486768662_e3e2d1dd25_b-1.jpg

1905 was booming for Excelsior

Robie sent Pope packing east with a suitcase full of cash.

Chicago, ILL. -

An enormous deal in the sundry line was consummated this month when
the Excelsior Supply Company 233 237 Randolph Street acquired the
entire bicycle and automobile sundry stock of the Western business of
the Pope Manufacturing Co. The above firm is now the Western distributor
for everything of the best in the auto supply line all the well known makers
of sundries and accessories being represented in its immense stock.

Clip from g00gle b00ks:

booksidQYIXAQAAMAAJpgPA1img1zoom3hlensig-1.jpg

booksidQYIXAQAAMAAJpgRA7PA44img1zoom3hle-1.jpg

CHRIS (chitown) ... your documentation and presentation is wonderful to see !!!
Thank you for your efforts and endurance !!!

.... patric

Thank you for your efforts and endurance !!!

I'm enjoying this research kick I've been on and am glad to share it here on the cabe. The whole multiple Excelsior brands always bugged the bajeezus out of me and I wanted to know how separate or related these firms were. There is yet another Excelsior company from Chicago that is separate from what would become the Michigan City company (Excelsior Cycle Co) and the Schwinn company (Excelsior Motor & Manufacturing Co). The name was "Excelsior General Supply Co." and they existed after the Schwinn buyout until the late teens. But I'll have to post that stuff later. My endurance from shoveling snow all day has me in the mood to replenish some liquid carbohydrates and call it a night... but I did post this one picture from the Excelsior General Supply Co's booth at the 1914 Cycle Trade Show on another thread.:)

attachment.php

Last edited:
chitown (Chris) ... Excellent documentation of those Excelsior badges !!!

Am still confuzed .. but in a more knowledgeable way. Good form .....

.......... patric

information on this Excelsior

any info would be helpful. only pic i have till the bike arrives next week.
dont know much about it except it has one wooden wheel the other is steel??
thanks

IMG_0883.jpg

Back