When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Racycle Madness, Part 2

-
Hi,

I'm the idiot that threw all the $ at the Racycle Scrubbinrims is talking about.

Obviously I was pretty much clueless and overly excited. Too bad one of us wasn't there :(

Anyway I am now attempting to clean it up and start learning about it and hopefully do the right things to restore it over time.

Here are a few detail pics below. The serial no. is 107926. Any hope of dating it? Can I still get wooden rims made for this?

Anything I should be very wary of doing / not doing?

racycle5.jpg
racycle4.jpg
racycle3.jpg
racycle2.jpg
racycle1.jpg

That looks like an armless Mussleman hub! It's rare and desirable amongst us Racycle nuts!! Yes, you can still get wood rims, you have the option of newly made or, holding out for original or, if you plan on riding....maybe go for a set of the Stutzmans with the metal inserts so you can use newer tires and higher pressures.... There's a pretty dedicated group of Racycle fans on here (me being one) we'll help as we can. I'll defer to Blue for the accurate dating but I believe you're post 1908 with those cranks.

Congrats on your new Racycle!!

I have a stock original crank for this that's in 9/10 condition if interested.
It's that's very crank.

Thanks for the replies!

I'd like to ride this ultimately. Considering I already spent an arm & leg on it I'm going to try to keep the original parts insofar as they are still usable. I know there are different schools of thought regarding restoration - I'd like to remove rust and neutralize it but not sure I want to get rid of all the patina. It appears to have been painted more than once too...I think I see some red remnants and of course all the black. The bottom bracket has a goldish look in places??

I'm not seeing the silver solder.... The area at the bottom of the crank is still pretty messy, I don't see anything that looks like a repair though.....

I'm not seeing the silver solder.... The area at the bottom of the crank is still pretty messy, I don't see anything that looks like a repair though.....
Its hard to tell from the picture, but to me it just looks like some of the paint is coming off the bottom bracket shell which was brazed, not silver soldered. Aside from paint loss, it does not look messy nor like a repair. In addition, the bottom side of a bottom bracket shell is an area that rarely gets damaged. I have had to repair a lot of frames that cracked on the top side of the bottom bracket shell where it connects to the seat tube.

Maybe I should have been more specific, when I wrote "messy", I meant that there was obvious paint missing, dirt, grease still covering some of the crank hanger but I did say that I didn't see any evidence of repair. Sorry for not being so clear.

Back