When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Sears Spaceliner Reference

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Wow, this is some great information, and I found more than I ever expected! My Spaceliner is stamped as a model 46980, with the struts, but it has a taillight on the rack, as I bought it back in 1993. The red paint on the rack matches and looks consistent with the tank, and I have no reason to believe it wasn't sold this way originally, except this exact configuration isn't in your list. Maybe minor upgrades like this were possible from some dealers, who knows.
Soooo, I clicked on your link for the model 46940 since there is no link for the 46980, and was totally surprised to find a photo of MY BIKE, taken on my driveway! You must have grabbed it from my website.
Anyway, the bike has a Bendix 2-speed kick-back hub like a 46980 should, and if you look real close you can see the little on/off switch under the luggage rack light. I didn't have a lens in the tail light when the photo was taken, but recently bought a repro lens on eBay and it fit right in there.
You might want to change the link to be a photo of the 46980 since that is what it is.

Hi Greg. I'm going to leave the photo link as is because it's extremely difficult to find photos of the 46940, 46980, 46960 family, and yours is the best I was able to scour from the net. You'll notice that most 'families' of Spaceliner models came in three configurations (1-speed, 2-speed, junior 24") and I only created photo links for the first model in the family but actually captioned the photos as being representative of all three models due to the minor differences between them (rear hub or frame size). The point was to post reference photos that would allow someone to see what the bikes of a certain model family should look like. In the case of yours, a previous owner swapped the rear rack at some point for the deluxe rack with tail light before you bought it, but because the photo isn't a rear-view and it's not noticeable I didn't draw attention to it (but now that you have mentioned it, maybe I should photoshop out the switch to avoid confusion for those with 'eagle eyes'). If you read the catalog ad that shows up in the photo link, you'll see that your model did not come with the rear light. In any case, with the exception of the battery switch being noticeable if you're looking for it, yours is a perfect representation of the 46940, 46980, 46960 family.

EDIT: I took my own advice and Photoshopped out the edge of the battery box and switch to avoid confusion due to the non-standard part. Your bike is now perfectly representative of the the 46940, 46980, 46960 model family. Thanks for drawing it to my attention.

Last edited:
OK, that sounds good. To be exactly correct, I wonder if the two screws heads on top of the rack should be photoshopped out, since they are there to hold the light unit in the rack. Or were they also there on racks without the light?

OK, that sounds good. To be exactly correct, I wonder if the two screws heads on top of the rack should be photoshopped out, since they are there to hold the light unit in the rack. Or were they also there on racks without the light?

Good point. I just fixed that too.

BTW, I just added the catalog scan for the 1964-65 Deluxe (Model 46901) so you can compare it to the catalog scan for your model. You'll notice the tail light is described in the Deluxe ad but is missing in yours.

Last edited:
Spaceliner?

I just purchase a bike that I believe is a Sears Spaceliner. It has all the characteristics of a spaceliner but the serial number is different from what is listed.
502 284093.

I'm including a picture of it so you can see what I have.

image.jpg

I've been looking for one of these for years and I'm really happy with it but a little confused about the difference in serial numbers.

Any thoughts?

image.jpg

I just purchase a bike that I believe is a Sears Spaceliner. It has all the characteristics of a spaceliner but the serial number is different from what is listed.
502 284093.

I've been looking for one of these for years and I'm really happy with it but a little confused about the difference in serial numbers.

Any thoughts?

Post the entire serial number (it will be 15 digits). Sometimes the stamped digits are broken into three segments of 3-6-6 digits, (but not always) and depending on where they are positioned part of the number might be hidden under the hub axle-bolt washer. The five digits immediately following 502 are the model code, and there should be seven more digits after that (the final six digits are the specific serial number identifier for your bike). What it appears to me that you've posted is the 502 Sears identification code and the last six digits of the serial number, but not the model code. In any case, what you have is either a Model 46901 (if it's a 26" single-speed hub), a Model 46921 (if it's a 26" two-speed hub), or a Model 46961 (if it's a 24" boys model).

Last edited:
502 284093.

I'm including a picture of it so you can see what I have.

View attachment 138520

Any thoughts?

Interesting looking dash panel...can you post a clearer picture showing the switches?
From the picture posted it looks more squared off then I've seen before....but, it could be just my bad eyes and blurry pic.

And hey to you Brent...long time no hear buddy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Here is a similar dash, but unfortunately I didn't get a close up of it. These are from a group ride a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure I'll see it again at next month's ride and will photograph it. Owner says its for sale for $300 if anyone is interested.
spaceliner1-1.jpg

WP_20140216_002-1.jpg

Interesting looking dash panel...can you post a clearer picture showing the switches?
From the picture posted it looks more squared off then I've seen before....but, it could be just my bad eyes and blurry pic.

And hey to you Brent...long time no hear buddy.

Hey John... must be your eyes. LOL

Not that I should talk after getting up bleary eyed at 3:30 this morning to watch the gold medal hockey game. Bars here in Alberta were given permission to open and serve alcohol at 4:30am this morning due to the game. You have to love it when the government steps in and relaxes the rules so people can catch a game at their favorite sports bar. I'm going to try to catch some nap time now.

Here's a closeup sideview of a 64-65 Spaceliner cowling and controls. Everything looks correct on his, except for the missing lens (not to mention a few other missing parts).

image.jpg
2381_3.jpg

image.jpg

2381_3.jpg

Last edited:
Blurry eyes

I guess the picture just threw me. Just thought it looked more squared edged than I thought it should be.
Thanks Brent.

Missed the Gold game and saw the end of the Bronze. Disappointing for the USA team.
But the ladies got SILVER!!

Back