When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I like 3 speed bikes

-

thom

Look Ma, No Hands!
My "collection" of bikes includes all kinds. I have decided , however,to concentrate on 3 speed bikes . I enjoy riding and tinkering with them . I will still buy other bikes if I find some like I have in the past couple of weeks , like the $300-400 Mountain bikes I bought for $10 each, but am going to seek out more 3 speeds.I plan to dissassemble a 3 speed hub and put it back together , just so I know how. Anybody else into them? If so, what do you especially look for in a 3 speed bike, not that I'll pass up any of them if the price is right.Thanks:D

I like 3 speed coasters. All my bikes except the Suburban and the Collegiate are 3-speeds, original or retrofitted with them. They are plentiful, cheap, and easy to adjust. Shimanos are the easiest. Sturmeys take more fiddling. Plus the internal gearing keeps the look of a stock rear hub. My newest obsession is twist grips. I have to figure out how to change the colors of the grips though; they all seem to be off white.

Shimano, Nexus and Sturmey Archer The 3 speed power trio

cannondaleschwinnandboys096-1.jpg

here is my Sturmy (still needs a front rack)

newHappyHour035-1.jpg

This guy has a Nexus

And I have an 80's 27" World Tourist w/ a Shimano 3 Speed can't find a pic right now.

This is my Sturmey Archer 3 speed, an early 70's Eatons RoadKing Villager. The thing I really hate about these hubs is the finnicky gears. Everytime you need to patch a tire or remove the rear wheel you have to adjust the shifter screw all over again.

Attachments

• 124_2472.jpg
    124_2472.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 113
and some look like this, Dana 3 speed transmission
IMG_4030.gif

Last edited:
Isn't that technically a 9 speed (3 front x 3 rear)? On that Dana, is that a push/pull arrangement? I see two cables on the twist grip.

Yes it is a push pull type, it is not with the 3 speed wheel anymore, so the Dana is still only a 3 speed

Back