When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

why are people pissed about the show american pickers

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
flat tire is A great character who represents our hobby in the proper manner,, i gave him a piece of crap bike ,, he did not need it, so he left in in the field at memory lane,,,.. looking forward to sharing some real stories with don l

I think the controversy centered around a WWII vet and a sword. I haven't seen that episode, so I don't know. But they are in business, after all. And in that big warehouse, that lady was offering things so cheap, they were telling HER they'd have to give MORE than that! I saw the episode last night where they pulled the Elgin out from under a pile of junk. They paid $60, but listed the actual value at $0. But that tank looked saveable, that's worth at least $60! And the frame & fork could maybe be restored. But hey, it's tv after all, regardless of wether they call it "reality" or not!

flat tire is A great character who represents our hobby in the proper manner,, i gave him a piece of crap bike ,, he did not need it, so he left in in the field at memory lane,,,.. looking forward to sharing some real stories with don l

Why thank you Walter...I think some pickers picked some parts off that post war pile o poop prior to my departure....I heard rumors that the frameset was being used as yard art at Wallys Gas Station down in Mayberry...haha...lookin forward to seenig you and all the folks at the mlc meet....these daily ohio snowstorms are starting to affect my sanity.......

My first reaction to the show was strongly negative. I figured the last thing we need is to get the attention of a bunch of speculators who will drive prices through the roof. I've changed my mind, somewhat. First, I doubt that this show is going to have a huge impact on market prices. Second, I've begun to look at hoarders in a somewhat different light. I suppose, in the great scheme of things that hoarders serve their purpose. They keep cool stuff from going to the junkyard. On the other hand, what a damned waste of cool stuff to have it rotting away unused and unseen. I remember back many years ago when I worked for the gas company here in So Cal. A couple of times I ran across guys who had huge, and I mean HUGE piles of old bikes rusting away in their yards. They weren't fixing them up to sell, or to ride. They were just-well - hoarding them. How many usable pieces and parts went to waste is anyone's guess. I remember asking one old guy if he wanted to sell anything out of the mountain of rust he had in the yard, and the bastard sic'ed his dog on me. That kind of hoarding isn't collecting, it's a kind of mental illness.

JWM

I am not sure why some are upset about that show. On another bike forum people are goin nuts that they make a profit lol Isnt this America?. I run in to this a lot. People begrudging working people making a little money off a bike. If you buy a bike for 50 bucks put some work into it and sell it for a hundred. Its a measly profit for the work you put in it.

Nobody begrudges rich people when they make crazzy profits, like Tiger Woods making millions and millions off his name. Or Bush senior taking stock in a company for a speech then selling his stock for 14 million. The minute a guy doing a constructive hobby like flipping bikes makes 50 bucks off a bike, you have fellow bike enthusiasts calling him a rippoff. I dont get it.

Wow, lots of different angles to look at when it comes to this show. I agree a guy should be able turn a good profit. Even if he buys a bike for a buck and sells it for thousands, its a free market. I think it might be nice if the Pickers show more of the actual flips. Like someone said earlier the port holes they had on ebay sold for less than they paid. I think it would be nice if they showed a little more of this reallity on their show. Maybe they will. I might just be bitter because most everything I buy and resell I lose money on. All in all the show is a lot more positive than I originally thought.

Absolutely nothing wrong with picking, as long as they give those old farmers a fair shake. I strongly detest pickers that take advantage of some unknowing soul. I once was in an old farmers barn in southern Manitoba and noticed the fellow had patched a hole in the wall with a tin "white rose oil" sign, still in great shape. He would have given it to me for nothing but I offered him 25 dollars for it, done deal,both of us happy. Thats when picking is cool ;)

Back