When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BSA Racing Bicycle with Wood Rims, I could use your educated help, please.

-
1 inch pitch

IT IS 1 INCH PITCH BLOCK CHAIN , IT IS NOT 1 INCH PITCH ROLLER CHAIN . SKIPTOOTH IS A MADE UP WORD USED IN THE BICYCLE WORLD , NEVER IN ANY VINTAGE ADVERTISING HAVE i EVER SEEN THE WORD SKIPTOOTH ,

nice bike, whats the story on finding it. is it for sale

I own an antique store, but bicycles is not where most of my knowledge lies. I was picking a gentlemans home who has one of the nicest collections of classic cars, motorcycles and toys you will ever see. While there I stumbled on this wonderful bicycle. It is for sales as soon as I determine a fair market value . I will appreciate all the feedback I can receive. I will also post it here first for users of this site to have first opportunity to purchase. Thanks for the input.

1" Pitch BLOCK chain as used on at least a dozen + of my WW2
track Paramount's ...
BTW Every Block chain is SKIPTOOTH
Do your research .........
View attachment 183717
View attachment 183718

I am aware that racers favored block chains for their racing bikes believing it was stronger than roller chain. I was not aware that block chain was stock on pre war paramounts as the above post seems to say. Is it true that pre war paramounts were deliverd with block chain?

I own an antique store, but bicycles is not where most of my knowledge lies. I was picking a gentlemans home who has one of the nicest collections of classic cars, motorcycles and toys you will ever see. While there I stumbled on this wonderful bicycle. It is for sales as soon as I determine a fair market value . I will appreciate all the feedback I can receive. I will also post it here first for users of this site to have first opportunity to purchase. Thanks for the input.

The history behind this bike would add to the value, I think. So if the seller knows anything about it worth getting that info too.

Great bike! Looks like it could be a BSA frame. Your in luck as information is plentiful for these bikes . Parts are fairly easy to get to.

Here is some background on bsa .... http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/BSA:_Bicycles

Here is a 1940's version - yours is earlier for sure. http://www.bikecult.com/works/collections/bsatrkpg.html

This is not a BSA bicycle either. They listed it as one but, it's not.

The reason that bike has BSA on the head tube is, many bike manufacturers back in
the day would use BSA components and would apply the sticker on the head tube
to show it has BSA parts. Joseph Kopsky did it this way too.

And I don't think the yellow bike spoken on this thread is a BSA. The dropouts seem
very wrong to me. As do the forks and everything else about the bike. I'm about
100% positive this is not a BSA. I believe Hilary Stone has a write up about BSA
and you will see there a little more info about the BSA bike.

Ummm you would know best Corrbettclassics - BSA was used by Jobbers all over the world.....

Here is a picture of a 1927 BSA

Im090625LM-BSA-1927.jpg

Last edited:
This is not a BSA bicycle either. They listed it as one but, it's not.

The reason that bike has BSA on the head tube is, many bike manufacturers back in
the day would use BSA components and would apply the sticker on the head tube
to show it has BSA parts. Joseph Kopsky did it this way too.

And I don't think the yellow bike spoken on this thread is a BSA. The dropouts seem
very wrong to me. As do the forks and everything else about the bike. I'm about
100% positive this is not a BSA. I believe Hilary Stone has a write up about BSA
and you will see there a little more info about the BSA bike.

I appreciate everyone's input on this bike. As expected, there are a wide range of opinions as to the make of this bicycle. Some believe it is an original BSA bike, due to the nickel plated fork, pedals and sprocket. I also saw these same handle bars on an original BSA while searching. That's a large part of the bike. The original yellow paint with hand painted striping, the wooden rims and racing badge all make this a very cool and unique bicycle. By the way, it is extremely light as well. I am working on getting it to an expert who can lay hands on it. I will leave this bicycle intact and unchanged.

Last edited:
Upon closer examination I also agree with the others - I think you can see the slight differences based on the pictures below. Best of luck to you! BSA Parts are still fairly easy to obtain here.

View attachment 183929

Another Cabe link to a 1927 BSA special racer

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?29829-1928-BSA-Special-Road-Racer

1920/21 BSA Cat.
http://oldbike.wordpress.com/12-19201921-bsa-brochure/

More info

https://bsaownermuseum.wordpress.com/bsa-sersan-mayor/

Great pic of a '27 BSA - you can see the lugs, seat cluster etc ……

I'm still pretty sure the yellow bike is not a BSA bike though.

Here's an example of "Kopsky" using the BSA decal on the head tube on his bikes.

bsakopskyspecialROSSIbg.JPG

Back