When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TANK Bike Thursday ... Show off your favorite TANK bike that you admire or own

-
Here's one I still have, just missing the truss rods. 1955 Columbia.

DSC01961.jpg

I didn't post this pic hoping you would..on my top five favs list.....that I'll never get to own....we'll I should never say never[emoji54]

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

This NOS 1919, Factory-Motorcyke Tank used to be mine maybe ten years back.

It was traded off to Mel Short. Fits the model-419 .. three and a half-inch head-tube -- only.

Mel installed the tank into his 419 Motorcyke.

The tank brought me a Van Cleve badge ...

The badge is from the shop of W.F Meyers ... who sold his line of bicycles in Dayton, Ohio
from 1909 thru 1939 when he died. The badge is the exact badge used by the Wright -
brothers ... who sold all of their bicycle-shop holdings to Meyers in 1909.

The badge features Newcom Tavern .. and indicates ownership to W.F. Meyers.

My badge is installed on a Davis-Built racer ... 1917 ... seven-eights inch tubing with
frame lugs everywhere. The rear-wheel is hubbed with an actual Wright's-Patent racing-hub.
The hub is stamped, Wright's-Patent.

*** Added 2-19-2015 ... Forgot to indicate the Wright's-Patent Racing Hub does NOT have spherical-
bearings. Tapered, roller-bearings are used .. unlike the standard Wright's-Patent hubs.
A ''restored'' Wright's Racing Hub is on display at the U.S. Air-Force Museum, located in Riverside,
Ohio. When originally-displayed there maybe 15 years ago ... many internal-parts were missing.
Don't know if missing parts were re-manufactured -- this specimen is now re-nickeled and buttoned-up.

This hub is on display next to the ONLY, Wright Cycle Co., girl's bicycle ever found -- a Van Cleve.

In addition ... The February 28, 1903 Supplement in The Scientific American contains a swell
article (with fotos of the Wright's-Patent Hub) ... within a topic, i.e., Ball Bearings vs Tapered Roller-
Bearings.

The original, carmine-colored felt seals are still intact ... and that wheel spins like a banshee ......
the hub is chained to a Fauber-Special (6-bubble) RACING Chainring -- 26-T.

If this ring is laid on a flat surface ...the center of the ring will not touch, as it is raised ... allowing
the 26 teeth to be placed directly over the crankcase bearings.

The special-fork has a single, forged crown ... as in the Wright Bros. Sales Catalog .... and the
frame is stamped at the top of the seat-mast ... 357 -- matching the original, aluminum,
I.D. tag (on the saddle-chassis) that says, "If Found .. Please Return To W.F. Meyers Bicycle Shop, Dayton, Oh."

One other Meyers-Van Cleve badge / bicycle is known ... in the Henry Ford Museum.

Mel's 419 is now in a museum -- sorry I forget which one.

............. patric

6jyQp-1.jpg

HD%20Tank2.jpg

DSCF1027.jpg

DSCF1024.jpg

Wright_Bicycles_Page_5  copy.jpg

Look ... i can snap better shots than what i show for my Meyers-Van Cleve ... the badge is
presented in a rather foreboding format ... why invite a counterfeit ?

==========================
==========================

6jyQp-1.jpg

HD%20Tank2.jpg

DSCF1027.jpg

DSCF1024.jpg

Wright_Bicycles_Page_5  copy.jpg

Last edited:
Back