When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Puch bicycle? Anyone heard of them?

-

slick

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
O.k. How old is the company? Anyone out there heard of it? Made in Syria i guess? It has the word Puch on the crank like a AS&Co. crank. Has the typical diamond frame like a schwinn collegiate. It's a three speed with no shifter? Guess you manually change the gears depending on where you're going? Any info appreciated.

Wow thanks! I searched the web and couldn't find anything? I wonder if that's the same Daimler from Chrysler automobiles?

Ok this one said Austria on the hub as well as Syria on the brake arm? It has a three speed with no shifter? It's not a skiptooth but has to be old? I don't know but i'm considering adding it to the stable of too many bikes already!!!!!

Puch won a world motocross championship or two back in the 70s. On a twin carb 250. I believe the rider was Harry Everts.

Ok this one said Austria on the hub as well as Syria on the brake arm? It has a three speed with no shifter? It's not a skiptooth but has to be old? I don't know but i'm considering adding it to the stable of too many bikes already!!!!!

Slick, it says "STYRIA" (not "SYRIA") on the crank, because the Puch factory was located in the state of Styria, which is in the southeast corner of Austria. The location of factory was the city of Graz, the capital of Styria. Your Puch is 100% Austrian, and was part of a big Austrian conglomerate that included the brands Puch, Steyr and Austro-Daimler (sort of like General Motors, comprising Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, etc.). All of the brands were built in the same factory, but to different levels of finish and detailing, with Puch at the lower end and Austro-Daimler being the most lavish. These had originally been different companies, but merged in the 1920s and '30s.

Steyr-Daimler-Puch got out of the bicycle business in the late-'80s, but they still make guns and car parts.

Who bought that bike? Slick?? It was a 3spd that I thinkyou had to loosen the axle and change gears yourself ie. when you got into the hills. I think it was a fixie also. Definately worth the hundred bucks or so that it went for.

Back