When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 '41 Murray ELGIN

-

dodgerblue

Finally riding a big boys bike
Since Im finally able to post pictures , will try to post updated flicks of work as I progress . This a bike I got from cabe member ( bikeworder ) about a year ago. It was about 75% of complete ride . I have almost everything needed to get on the finished and rollin.
20150417_194029.jpg
20150417_194213.jpg
20150417_194227.jpg

After spending some time trying to remove blue house paint to reveal nice original color I had NO such luck . After looing at many other posts of dif. bikes I thought the bare metal look would be cool . Rustjunkie ( Scott ) helped me get wheels right and even changed out rear cog to a 10 tooth . Thank you Scott . Bike rides so smooth . So I decided to add some more weight to carry around and added tank ,horn w/ bat., and rear carrier . Bike has about 50 miles on this setup . As much as i like bare metal look . I stay near the beach and even parking in garage I just can not keep darn surfice rust off . I cleared fenders . I sprayed w-d 40 on frame and other parts , but rust never sleeps . Or it just attacks when I do . Dont know whether to break it down and slap some paint or leave it bare metal . Michael / Dodgerblue
20150728_112253.jpg
20150728_112428.jpg

Last edited:
That's badass dude, maybe wipe it down with boiled linseed oil, could possibly help with your rust issue.

That's badass dude, maybe wipe it down with boiled linseed oil, could possibly help with your rust issue.

Indeed, boiled linseed oil is the way to go on bare metal. Was just reading a thread on the HAMB about guys using it on bare metal and/or heavily patina-ed vehicles.

Back