When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Firestone Pilot--More info?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
F

firepilot

Hi I have a Firestone Pilot which is red, white, and blue. It is all original and was my grandfather's bike.

It has Torrington #8 pedals, 26 x 2.125 tires, front and back lights, and a rack.

Does anyone have a clue as to who made the bike and during what year? Any information is appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 123
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 143
looks like an elgin, and looks complete original very nice bike and def a keeper especially being your grandfathers, i wish my grandfather kept his ballooners but he always had to have the new models so i have his 5spd

Thanks for the help. I'll see if I can find an Elgin pic that is similar. Any clue about approximate year and/or model?

there used to be a guy here who had all the Firestone catalogs for your Murray made late '40's Firestone.

I'm still looking at the bike and digesting information. I found some Firestone catalogs from the early 1940s but nothing later. I have listed more information. Does the red, white, and blue coloring have something to do with the war? I appreciate any help in trying to establish a date and have looked at the Murray Date information--it's earlier than those listed (I think).

Firestone Pilot
Pedals: Torrington #8 pedals; Black; Block Swivel
Front Tire: Firestone High Speed 26 x 2.125
Back Tire: Capri 26 x 2.125
Front Hub: New Departure; Model D; Made in U.S.A.
Rear Hub: New Departure-W; Made in U.S.A.
Brake: New Departure
Front Light: Delta Elec. Co.; Marion, Ind.; Made in U.S.A.
Back Reflector: Deep Red Cone Non-electric; “Cat’s Eye or Torpedo?”
Valve Stem Cap: Cleveland
Reflector: Delta Elec. Co.; Marion Ind.; Made in U.S.A.; a-1932; Oval Deep Red
Rack: Six holes
Sprocket: 26 teeth
Crank Underside Serial Number: 42695; 179-6-24x2; 9-A-3

Thank you the help thus far...

@ Scott (37Fleetwood:( I'm still looking for Murray or Firestone late 1940's catalog per suggestion. Any idea where I might find some?

When thinking more about the bike, I not sure my grandfather would have bought it after the war--he was busy with kids and a family. Could it be pre-war or during the war? I can post pictures of any part of bike if it's helpful.

Thank you for your help.

@ Patrick (Militarymonark:( Why do you think Elgin vs. maybe a Mercury (Murray). Also the serial number seams weird. I've only run into one other on the intertubes with similar serial # (Numbering on crank bracket are: 9A4 179-6-21X2 11 8 79 ).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

@schwinndoggy: Yes, I'd like to ride it. The last time I actually was on it, I was a teenager over thirty years ago. Before any waxing, I'd to at least clean the grime off. It will be a nice change from the mountain bike.

Thanks for the positive vibes...

@ Patrick (Militarymonark:( Why do you think Elgin vs. maybe a Mercury (Murray). Also the serial number seams weird. I've only run into one other on the intertubes with similar serial # (Numbering on crank bracket are: 9A4 179-6-21X2 11 8 79 ).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

That style Elgin was also made by Murray.

Back