When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938 Schwinn Autocycle with Double Duty Front End

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I remember meeting Mike in Sidney NY at a fellow collectors place after Copake a few years back. A bunch of us stayed thier and camped out on the living room floor. I also remember Mike yelling at me in the middle of the the night about my snoring. He must of felt bad about it the next morning as he took Dave S and I out for breakfast. He was in the area "picking" an early motorcycle.

PIC_0142-1.jpg

PIC_0140-1.jpg

102_9917-1.jpg

It has made guys around here think their bikes are worth a mint. One seller has a nice 60s Schwinn Jag that he thinks is worth $1,250... It would easily be worth a few hundred as it is nice, but his seeing rusty crusty antiques on Pickers made him think his is worth 3x its value... That fork looks neat! (thanks Patrick) I'd like to see what you have there Mike...

It's like a triple crown fork... with truss rods. That would make it a Five Crown Fork or Pentafork. I've seen them before but wasn't sure if that was what Mike was describing by a double duty front end. thanks Patrick for the pics.

It has made guys around here think their bikes are worth a mint. One seller has a nice 60s Schwinn Jag that he thinks is worth $1,250... It would easily be worth a few hundred as it is nice, but his seeing rusty crusty antiques on Pickers made him think his is worth 3x its value... That fork looks neat! (thanks Patrick) I'd like to see what you have there Mike...

exactly...i went to an auction in ohio yesterday with over 60 antique bikes, mostly balloners, and the bidding was absolutely CRAZY...alotta people have a skewed mindset for what some of these old bikes are/were worth...kinda like what barrett jacxkson did for the collector car business a few years ago

I don't know much about old bikes but I sure so like them so bare with me for trying to increase my knowledge of them. What are the truss bars for? What is a triple crown? and what is the lock for?
Thanks

Triple crown forks are a term used for modern downhill bikes where the fork legs extend to the headset. There is some debate on the terminology "Triple Crown" some call them "Triple Clamp, Dual Crown" forks. Don't know why they're called that but it's pretty common with mountain bikers to call them triple crown. The truss rods were supposed to stiffen the front end. The lock is an anti-theft feature that locks the fork so it can't turn. I suppose it would stop a polite old time bike thief who was looking for a quick grab and go stealing, where it would have little deterrence with a modern, rude bike thief who would hack the front end off and part it out if he couldn't break the lock.

Back