When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1901 Iver Johnson Frame With Low Serial Number

-

Handyman

I live for the CABE
I recently picked up this early Iver frame with some unusual (to me) features. After looking through the 1901 Catalog, and because it has a 24" frame, I believe I've identified it as a Model 68 Men's Roadster. It has a great snowflake chainring and a heavy block chain.

1901 #1.JPG

The area on the frame where the chain adjuster threads through is smaller than more modern Ivers as are the chain adjusters themselves.

1901 #2.JPG

The seatpost has a collar and adjusting nut to tighten it on the seattube.

1901 #3.JPG

The left pedal arm has these two small screws next to the lock nut. I don't think the BB is original to the bike. The locknut shows evidence that it was once removed. The drive on the chainring is round, not rectangular as the more modern Iver chainrings.

1901 #4.JPG

The front tube clearly shows where the Iver Johnson badge was and the mounting holes for the badge line up perfectly. Notice the "flush" look of the top and bottom cones.

1901 #5.JPG

There was only one pedal on the frame and it has a "star" in the center.

1901 #6.JPG

Now here is where it gets interesting to me. Notice the low serial #, check out the paragraph in Bill Smith's page concerning the approximate years/numbers, this # is quite low. Also, what on earth are those cross hatches next to the serial #. None of this information was visible until I took off some paint. Could the marks have been factory applied? Might they mean something?

1901 #7.JPG

In any case, it's an interesting find. I may be interested in trades only for a similar frame with 1900/01/02 BB intact.
Pete in Fitchburg

Last edited:
Here is the paragraph fro Bill Smith's "Iver Johnson production dates by serial number" page.

The 100,000th bicycle was probably laid down just after the turn of the century. The bicycle market was very volatile in the first few years of the twentieth century so simply apportioning production between two serial numbers gives 1904 as the 100,000 break but in reality production during this time period as during any other could vary from year to year by a substantial amount due to general economic conditions or decisions made at the factory. Considering the data points available from this time period I would think the accuracy on this break is about plus or minus two years.

That's very cool. I'm curious about that star in the serial number also. could it have meant that it was destined to a specific vendor?

Hi junkhunter,
I agree, that "star" does look factory applied and I'm sure it meant something, however, with no decent records available, I don't think the meaning will ever surface. Pete in Fitchburg

One of my old racing bikes from 1928/29 had the same similar markings. I was told by
someone that it was the frame markers own mark that identified him. He was usually
special at what he did I guess and instead of numbers, would leave his own mark.

L1040558.JPG

Now that is very interesting corbettclassics ! Very similar markings. Your explanation of a possible reason for the markings does make sense. Pete in Fitchburg

Back