When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bluebird Technical Discussion 1935-1937

-
Thanks for posting. Can we see pic of bottom of tank and serial #? V/r Shawn
Shawn...here's few pix of me 35 frame
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG

Thanks Bill! Looks like serial is N118578 and "B9". This would be in line with the theory the "B#" is the month as your serial precedes both of my "B10"s. V/r Shawn

I rub it's underbelly later.
1936 only alternate color.
Keep in mind, Sears produced models seasonally, not annual cutoffs.
As labor intensive as these are, I wouldn't be surprised if the hulls were made in batch and mated to the frames with hot lead later to fulfill order/contracted volumes (4k allegedly through the run).
Chris

redbird right.JPG

Redbird SN.JPG

As labor intensive as these are, I wouldn't be surprised if the hulls were made in batch and mated to the frames with hot lead later to fulfill order/contracted volumes (4k allegedly through the run).
Chris

View attachment 304952

View attachment 304953
Am I seeing 2 separate serial #'s stamped on your BB?o_O '35 & '36?

Chris

View attachment 304952

View attachment 304953

Thanks for posting Chris. That is pretty crazy to have both year serials on there. Does you bike have the alemite BB fittings? V/r Shawn

I'm inclined to agree with Redline here. "N" indicates 1935, "A" 1936, and "B" 1937 according to Mr. Columbia's (Ken) site. This said it would appear that somewhere late '35 Westfield stopped the welds/brazing on the bottom of the tank and added the alemite fittings to the bottom bracket. Joe thinks his is a late '36 which the "B12", if indicating month, would confirm. I would like to see some bikes with lower "B" markings so we could get a feel if this is a month indicator or maybe model? V/r Shawn

minez is D10 C73"X"O6 (can't make out 3rd numb) no BB fitting, stepped seat post, early fenders, flush head tube, no brass gobs

Last edited:
Back