When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hercules "royal Prince" Made In Birmingham.

-
I think the Hercules is the more interesting because of its uniqueness. Both are quality bikes.

The alloy hub is uncommon but not rare on the Rudge.

This is an English bike collector rorschach test of sorts. Some love upgraded, conventional bikes like the Rudge, and some like oddball or more unique bikes like this combo part Hercules. I like the oddball stuff. I have a Hercules Model C coaster brake variation from 1946 that I love.

I'm with SirMike on this. My Rudge and Raleighs are nice and desirable bikes but as I have matured in the English 3-speed hobby my interest has become piqued by the oddball and lesser known brands and models. I have two bikes built by the Cooperative Wholesale Society (CWS) in Tyseley England. CWS weren't built for export so they came to our shores as somebodies personal property. I jokingly say that I have the largest CWS collection in North America but that may actually be factual. Not much more than a year ago I wouldn't have thought about parting ways with my Raleigh DL-1 or Rudge Sport but I now see that as a possiblity to be replaced by bikes that are virtually unknown to most other 3-speed enthusiasts. I guess I have gone down the rabbit hole in this hobby.

Sounds like I most've done well here for a first timer! He was asking $70 for both. I could've offered him less, but I felt him to be in need of the cash so I parted with my money and came home with both...my wife was thrilled!! The seller has A LOT more old bikes, I mean, A LOT! If any of you are interested in seeing YOUR wife thrilled, let me know and I pass on his info! :)

general principle - there's a Schwinn conspiracy - they have their own Schwinn Lightweight forum page, but they still post Schwinns here and top them any time they can
So I keep looking for nice Condorinos to post.

condorino.jpg

Sounds like I most've done well here for a first timer! He was asking $70 for both. I could've offered him less, but I felt him to be in need of the cash so I parted with my money and came home with both...my wife was thrilled!! The seller has A LOT more old bikes, I mean, A LOT! If any of you are interested in seeing YOUR wife thrilled, let me know and I pass on his info! :)

You cannot ask for a better deal than $70 for both. Each is worth more than that individually- the Hercules because of decent completeness and good condition, and the Rudge because of the brand cachet and alloy rear hub.

Back