When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pharis Tire and Rubber snake belly tires - stock or aftermarket equipment?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

thatonejohn

Finally riding a big boys bike
I picked up a Monark yesterday and it came with a nice set of snake belly tires on it. Probably planning on taking the tires off to use on something else. Morrow eclipse hub is dated P1, so 1946 first quarter.

Question is, did these tires only come on Monarks, or did they come with other brands? Are there ads or specs that mention these tires? Looking for some hard evidence rather than hearsay.

I found a couple ads in Boys Life, so they were available aftermarket.

Thanks

2016-09-29_2157.png
2016-09-29_2158.png
IMAG2840.jpg
IMAG2841.jpg
IMAG2846.jpg
IMAG2847.jpg

These are similar and were on a 1948 Columbia I sold this spring to a fellow caber that was complete and virtually untouched but I don't know if they were factory.

The ribs don't curve like yours but the tread looks like that shown in the ad, Perhaps the companies were related in some way or one copied the other.

Posted as an FYI.
t1.JPG
snakebelly tires 2.jpg

I believe they were factory on the '47 Hex Tube bikes. They may have been factory on this bike as well. V/r Shawn

The Pharis snakebelly tires were shown on Monark bikes in catalogs and ads from 1946 and 1947. I haven't seen them on Monark ads after that.

Here's a 1947 Monark Hex tube ad that shows them.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Here are some Pharis and Carlisle ads of snakebelly tires.

Last edited:
The Monark ad is available in the NBJ/John Polizzi Monark book in black and white. The color one I found online.

Last edited:
The Pharis snakebelly tires were shown on Monark bikes in catalogs and ads from 1946 and 1947. I haven't seen them on Monark ads after that.

Thanks for the info, looks like they're pretty much pegged to '46 and '47 Monarks, while still being replacement tires for other makes/models.

NEAT!
WHERE DO YOU GUYS FIND THIS STUFF?

The two Pharis ads I posted I clipped from Boys Life, available on the internet. I searched for "pharis lightning" on https://books.google.com/

In fact, searching again while typing this reply, "Consumers' research bulletin annual" from 1948 reviewed(?) a Shelby Cadillac ladies S21 with pharis lightning tires on it.

2016-10-02_1733.png

Back