When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 1900's National Cycle Manufacturing bicycle

-

DonC3

On Training Wheels
I have this family heirloom that I am considering restoring. I would appreciate any help with finding parts or restoration resources near Bay City, MI.

DSCN3846.JPG

DSCN3847.JPG

DSCN3848.JPG

DSCN3849.JPG

DSCN3850.JPG

I don't know how much you plan to do yourself, but Pro- Strength Goof off works really well at taking off paint that hasn't been applied correctly. There may be a good amount of original nickel plating and paint left. That may help determine which way to go forward with the project. Nice bike, good luck with it.

Looks like the top frame tube is bent. Not sure if bent or optical illusion from the photo. If so you may want to look into what it may take to fix that before putting any money into it.

My current intent is to restore the bike. It was purchased by my girlfriends grandfather in Bay City and her father always wanted to restore it, but was unable to locate parts for it. What I am looking for is help in finding missing parts and information on what it looked like when it was new. I'm not sure about how extensive a restoration I am capable of, but I would like to restore the original wheels. Any help would be appreciated. Any idea what it's worth in case I get overwhelmed in the process?

Good evening. I live in Novi and would love to chat with you about the restoration of this cool piece.

If you can repair the frame (or have it done) this will be a cool project. It appears that the black saddle in the background has the seatpost collet still on the seatpost (in case you weren't aware) You'll need nipple washers and 1" long nipples to rebuild the wheels. Oh, and just because that tire is probably crusty and uninflateable, don't throw it away, someone on The CABE will want it if you decide you do not.

I have this family heirloom that I am considering restoring. I would appreciate any help with finding parts or restoration resources near Bay City, MI.

DonC3,
Please turn the bike around and take a good photograph of the sprocket so that I can narrow down the year range for you. Either post the photo on this thread or send it to me in a private message with photo. After seeing the photo I should be able to give you an idea of year for the bike.

As others have pointed out, you have a badly bent frame. Local to you, Assenmacher Cycles, 8053 Miller Rd, Swartz Creek, MI is an excellent place to take it for frame repair if you chose to have the frame repaired. Ask for Matt Assenmacher, he does beautiful frame repair work. I have had several projects worked on by him, everything from Safety bikes to Penny Farthings.

I'm not sure how valuable your bike really is, possibly more sentimental value than actual dollar value. If you are trying to determine if you may be getting in over your head financially to "restore" this bike you possibly are. Current condition as-is the bike and related parts is maybe $300.

Back