When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tip your hat to Lady Gwendolyn

-

bulldog1935

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
aP5280019.jpg

4 weeks ago, I was leading the pack in a daybreak Sunday-morning ride downtown along with a HS wrestler. Watching the car beside me instead of the pavement, I fell into a strange trangle-shaped expansion joint over the riverwalk - at 20mph, which launched me straight down - (I think I was even standing to accelerate). I was in the hospital for 3 days with broken collar bone, 9 ribs and "moderate" brain trauma. I'm doing very well, and will be back on a bike probably next week.. I've been sweating a half-hour every day with my upright on a trainer. Rotator, neck all great - no long term worries, and most of my mobility is already back. Still shoulder discomfort, hurts to sneeze, and can't lay flat yet - I'm sleeping in a recliner. Just getting to the point that typing discomfort is small enough to type for entertainment - before, I was saving it all for work.

But the old GP did not fare well. Top tube, down tube and steerer all bent. Everything else fared well except the saddle, which probably landed the bounce.
I looked at GP frames but decided with all my upgraded components, I'd upgrade the frame and found a nice International.
s-l1600%208.jpg

Picking up the frame at the LBS today - Shawn at Britton's installed my headset and is aligning the frame to 126mm rear. (Somebody had apparently stretched it there by hand and it was all on one side). But otherwise, it's near perfect.
Also, Raleigh spaced the chainstay bridge to prevent a kickstand install. Otherwise, geometry and fork are identical but DB 531. Probably not a good frame for a rear load, so I'm deleting the rear rack, but a great fork for a front load, which I'll stick to.
And should be a blast.
Think I'll call her Lady Isolde.

Glad you are OK,sounds like you a healing well . Take things slow. Bummer on your bike,new frame looks like a nice replacement.

Thanks Dale.
It's going to be a nicer bike, but frame is probably too flexy for a rear load.
Great for a front load, though, and I have that nice bag.
All the components are getting spit-shined as I move them.

PB110002.jpg

paid for half of the frame by selling my rear rack and panniers.

If you ever need a freewheel rebuilt, Yellow Jersey does a great job for $25.
aPB140003.jpg

Last edited:
a couple more details.
Polished brake and shorty fender
aPB150001.jpg

SKF BB 121mm made asymmetric with a 2.5mm drive-side spacer for perfect chainline with a cyclotouriste triple - this, too moved over from the GP (has 3 years on it, with a 10-y warranty)
PB150002a.jpg

Have a few parts in the mail, and I've gone as far as I can go without them...
aPB150001a.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you're OK, just because we disagree about everything, doesn't mean I want to see you rubbed out.

BTW, I hate it when guys give female names or identities to their rides, so corny. They should have male identities because of their heart of grease.

Glad you're OK, just because we disagree about everything, doesn't mean I want to see you rubbed out.

BTW, I hate it when guys give female names or identities to their rides, so corny. They should have male identities because of their heart of grease.
there are exactly two things we've disagreed on - racism, and me. You don't have a right to pretend to represent me.
By definition, on either subject, you have to be wrong and wrong-headed.

Last edited:
Back