When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1920's Davis Sewing machine co.(Huffman/Shelby) in Cerulean Blue possible Yale or Speedway Special

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

The Professor

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello,
I've posted this bike before and I'm reposting it as a Davis sewing built Yale(?), Dayton(?) or Speedway special(?)
I do believe this is the cerulean blue offered in the early 20's the bb is stamped 666x or x999. This bike has a one piece fork.
I originally thought this bike was a 27 ish Westfield, I posted it that way and I got guys telling me "yep that's a normal Westfield definitely not a one of a kind", but if Westfield built a bike like this, I'm pretty sure it would be the only Davis sewing machine/ Westfield ever built.
So please actually look over the photos and check closely because it's not like the 23 Huffman/Shelby and it's different from the 1915 frame style.
I'm hoping to be able to determine the accurate year, manufacturer(s) model or how it was badged and hopefully someone who can sell me the correct badge. any and all help is appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Jake

FB_IMG_1466263401415.jpg

FB_IMG_1466374423881.jpg

FB_IMG_1466374472357.jpg

IMAG3960.jpg

FB_IMG_1466374488217.jpg

IMAG3964.jpg

IMAG3966.jpg

IMAG4774.jpg

Holy crap! Someone has to jump in here. I just read the "Show us your Davis built" thread and I think my brain just shorted out.
The frame is a Davis, not Dayton, based on the placement of the lugs? it's a 1916 because it has a 6 on the bb? it has to be a Yale based on the cerulean blue? it has the heavy duty fork offered only on the Harley Davidson badged 1918, but it's not a 1918 Harley frame. it can't be over 23 because it would have a Dayton fully lugged frame with Shelby fork. Davis didn't actually build their bikes, they contracted out to mead during the war? it must be 1917-22 because it has the seat lug? (Brain fried! eyes burn!)

it's identical to a 1918 Napoleon, only its got the 1918 hd fork, and it is a pre Dayton all Davis built cerulean blue with white accents... So it's a... 1918 Yale?????????? (Only it has vertical badge holes like the Napoleon....)
That someone, probably stamped serial number 666x or reverse in for fun????????
And someone has simply swapped out the sprocket and seatpost for Westfield stuff?????
It's someone else's turn or I'm gonna have an aneurysm.

The fork is 100% Davis. The teens 1915-1917 Davis frame architecture has a real "raked" out fork alinement. Maybe pis is bad but the architecture of the frame seems wrong to be 1916. Check out my 1916 Hearsay Special. The 1918 frame style without the rake has a tighter "tank" space. Different still. Like you... I am kinda stumped. Nice early fork, would work well on a chief. Thanks for sharing. Jury is still out.....Paint is not original

Holy crap! Someone has to jump in here. I just read the "Show us your Davis built" thread and I think my brain just shorted out.
The frame is a Davis, not Dayton, based on the placement of the lugs? it's a 1916 because it has a 6 on the bb? it has to be a Yale based on the cerulean blue? it has the heavy duty fork offered only on the Harley Davidson badged 1918, but it's not a 1918 Harley frame. it can't be over 23 because it would have a Dayton fully lugged frame with Shelby fork. Davis didn't actually build their bikes, they contracted out to mead during the war? it must be 1917-22 because it has the seat lug? (Brain fried! eyes burn!)

it's identical to a 1918 Napoleon, only its got the 1918 hd fork, and it is a pre Dayton all Davis built cerulean blue with white accents... So it's a... 1918 Yale?????????? (Only it has vertical badge holes like the Napoleon....)
That someone, probably stamped serial number 666x or reverse in for fun????????
And someone has simply swapped out the sprocket and seatpost for Westfield stuff?????
It's someone else's turn or I'm gonna have an aneurysm.

I believe the Napoleons tank opening was way narrower... at least mine was. Mine had this fork also.
http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1915-napoleon-project.64331/

Last edited:
All ... my computer is now totally shot ..
have a great replacement , when my
brother in law can do the transfer of
info work.

Currently using my wife's laptop ...
she left it at home today ... if she were
to know i was using her LT ... well, let's
just say -- many of my fingers would get
broken. Hope to be back on here by
first week in January.

Look, i can't even access my home laptop
''homepage'' or, peep my mail .......

The Bicycle ... don't see much, if any, paint
on that front fender ... but there is plenty on
the rear.

I believe the paint is original .... as are those
short-wall fenders ... the one's Shelby used
after the Davis buy-out in 1923 (+/-).

To my eye, this machine is a Davis "YALE''-
Type ... circa 1923 ... Shelby-Built.

It is truly beautiful to my eye.

What is remarkable here, is the growing number
of CABErs who are bothering to learn and remem-
ber all those little ''Davis things''. Each of you is
doing a great job !! Years ago, can remember telling
my junior-high art classes, ''I hope to get you to a
point where you become MY teacher ... and i become
Your Student.'' Am very happy for your scholarly growth.

Sweet Jesus, Mary and Joseph ... Lynn told me she would
be home at quarter after 11, this A.M. ........

If she finds me rockin' her LT ... she'll give me the Jimmy
Hoffa Beauty Treatment, fur shur !!

Merry Christmas To ALL !!

........... patric

Back