When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Bottle Cap" badges

-
When you say "Dayton" I assume you are referring to the Huffman brand. Davis also built a Dayton model. So the three manufacturers, off the top of my head, would be Davis, Miami, and Huffman which would include badges of Dayton (both Davis and Huffman), Harley Davidson, Racycle, Flying Merkel, and other Miami built machines. I'm sure Ed or Patric could expand on this. V/r Shawn
So according to Patric,"ace" & foxclassics we can add Excelsior to the list of manufacturers that used "bottlecap" badges? I have what I believe to be an Excelsior built Elgin project that uses the conventional screw/rivet type badge. Any rhyme or reason to any of this?

IMAG1613_zpso8rzl0gj.jpg

So according to Patric,"ace" & foxclassics we can add Excelsior to the list of manufacturers that used "bottlecap" badges? I have what I believe to be an Excelsior built Elgin project that uses the conventional screw/rivet type badge. Any rhyme or reason to any of this?

IMAG1613_zpso8rzl0gj.jpg

Fordmike65 ... I have seen the Elgin badge .. with screwholes ...
also issued on a Davis-Built.

Can see no rhyme nor reason as to the variations.

Luckily I had a good friend visit this weekend who agreed to pick up the bike in question on his way down to SoCal. So far I'm pretty sure it is indeed Excelsior built. Electrified tank looks like it's been on the bike for some time, even though I don't believe it's original to it. I have another set of bars to replace what I believe are later ones. Looks like a handmade trussrod upper mount, so I'm on the lookout for an original piece. I'm hoping it'll clean up some, but I'm good if I can just get it back on the road again. If anyone has any additional info on it, please feel free to post here. Thanks in advance for any help. Big shout out to Bricycle & Patric for their help so far:)
fb_img_1484441396635-jpg.jpg

received_1240768266001712-jpeg.jpg

received_1240767332668472-jpeg.jpg

20170205_191647-jpg.jpg

20170205_191731-jpg.jpg

20170205_191633-jpg.jpg

20170205_191614-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting up the ad Cliff! This might be the bike, but those look like painted wood wheels. This has crusty wood clad wheels with a model C, so thinking it might be a couple years later? Maybe I can finally make it to your local motorbike ride this year!

Back