When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Titan Fork

-

sam

I live for the CABE
Anyone know anything on 30s era Titan? Got this fork(for a 30s frankenbike project)off of French EB. appears to have crescent threading
IMG_7954.JPG
IMG_7956.JPG

I wonder how many bike companies had the name "Titan"? There was another Titan company that emerged in the 80s. My 1991 Western Flyer (see the Project Rides forum) is built by Titan.

-----

The "TITAN" mark on the steerer is indeed that of a manufacturer...but not one of cycles or framesets.

It refers to a tubeset produced in France at one time.

313goqc.jpg

Handsome crown; do not recognise it by model but looks like something which might have been produced by BOCAMA, Malaguti or possibly Agrati.

"Usually" the presence of Titan tubing means a French built cycle.

Do you have the balance of the machine or is this simply an unmated fork?

What do you intend by "crescent threading?"

Would expect steerer to be of metric dimension having an outside diameter of 25.0mm and an inside diameter of 21.9/22.0mm. Thread 25.0mm X 1.0mm. Fork crown race seat probably ~27.1mm.

Spacing may possibly be 96mm rather than the more commonly seen 100mm, if unaltered.

Thank you for sharing it. ;)

-----

Last edited:
that 'crescent threading' is definitely different, lol. It reverts to conventional threading when you enlarge the photo.
The fork is superficially similar to that on my 'Inconnu', but the top of the crown is faceted on this 'titan' example. I’ll have a look at my steerer tube next time I clean and regrease the bearings, perhaps it too is a 'titan' tube..
WP_20181127_13_44_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20181127_13_44_10_Pro.jpg

perhaps 'Inconnu' is a 'Crescent'?

-----

Is name on brake caliper "VINIO?"

There appears to be a "DEPOSE" on the other side of the arm which suggests France as caliper origin.

One possible crown I.D. not mentioned is Ekla. Cleaning of underside might reveal a marking.

I sometimes think of these crowns with two rectangular slots in the side as a paen to the Maino treble plate ones...

-----

The brake is a 'Vento', not original and only recently fitted to this unknown French bicycle, hence 'Inconnu'. Plain lugged machine, with double box lining, for 700B size wheels, circa 1910's in most peoples reckoning.

------

Here are two examples of Ekla fork crown markings -

11hxste.jpg

6ny3h2.jpg

[the second is a little bit difficult to read. you may need to enlarge it a tad for better view.]

-----

Last edited:
Interesting, when /where were Ekla in business?
never looked under the crown on this machine before. Will do so at next available opportunity.

that 'crescent threading' is definitely different, lol. It reverts to conventional threading when you enlarge the photo.
The fork is superficially similar to that on my 'Inconnu', but the top of the crown is faceted on this 'titan' example. I’ll have a look at my steerer tube next time I clean and regrease the bearings, perhaps it too is a 'titan' tube..
View attachment 908907

View attachment 908908

perhaps 'Inconnu' is a 'Crescent'?

-----

Hast thee as yet trotted votre inconnu past the sages of tonton et veloretrocourse?

https://forum.tontonvelo.com/index.php

http://veloretrocourse.proboards.com/

-----

Back