When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

broken schwinn

-
If only all my bike problems were like this. However, if this happened while I was riding, I would definitely have a similar reaction. Glad you got it fixed :).

Curious, were the broken bars stamped with the Schwinn name and possibly a date?

So they were Schwinn made bars. Crazy how they just sheared off like that from the wait of that light.

So they were Schwinn made bars. Crazy how they just sheared off like that from the wait of that light.

All I can imagine is; somebody really cranked down the stem bolt. Yet that's an aluminum stem, right? and if it was squeezed that tight, I'd expect it to break first. Otherwise, the bar is factory defect. Still, in the case that it is due to over tightening then, if it's aluminum I'd be weary that the stem is due to break too.

Stem should be steel,I dont know how heavy you are,maybe not at all? Good to remember those bikes were bomb proof for normal weight teens/young adults,not old fat guys,such as myself. I could understand the bars snapping after many decades do to somebodys excess weight constantly bearing down @ that transition. I'm gonna be more careful now lol

Last edited:
Stem should be steel,

Yeah, you're right, an alloy stem would have a tapered ring showing on the neck. Hence the likelihood that it was over tightened.
s-l225.jpg

Schwinn 1972 warranty:
Failure, loss or damage due to accident, abuse, neglect, normal wear, improper assembly or maintenance by anyone other than an Authorized Schwinn Dealer or use of other than genuine Schwinn parts is not covered.

Pacific cycle warranty:
Warranties | Support | Schwinn Bicycles
www.schwinnbikes.com › Support

These warranties only apply to bicycles manufactured and/or distributed by Pacific Cycle. ... Schwinn Limited Warranty - Independent Bike Dealer. ... For frame replacement under the limited warranty, please contact the authorized dealer the bicycle was purchased from.

Last edited:
Back