When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can Schwinn "bow" pedals be serviced?

-

bikemonkey

I live for the CABE
Hi,

It looks like I may have to go into one of these Schwinn bow pedals to resolve a bearing issue. I understand the tension on slotted spring clip on the cage holds the key to disassembly. M y question is...once its apart, how difficult is it to reinsert the clip and does it retain it tension well after disassembly? Any other trolls hiding under the bridge?

Thanks!

pic of pedal ends

pedals.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

It looks like I may have to go into one of these Schwinn bow pedals to resolve a bearing issue. I understand the tension on slotted spring clip on the cage holds the key to disassembly. M y question is...once its apart, how difficult is it to reinsert the clip and does it retain it tension well after disassembly? Any other trolls hiding under the bridge?

Thanks!

pic of pedal ends

View attachment 447583
that later style with the smaller end cap is not serviceable

Are these pedals for your 59 Jag resto? That style bow pedal was first used on the 67-68 models.

Are these pedals for your 59 Jag resto? That style bow pedal was first used on the 67-68 models.
As best as I can tell these are the correct pedals. I have a photograph of the owner on the bike when he was about 10 and the pedals on the bike match these.

This is a adv. pic of a '58 Jag with what appears to be the same bow pedals.

1958-jaguar.jpg

There were quite a few variants of the Schwinn bow pedals from the early 50's to today. The first issue was used thru 1959 and it had the large removable cap and the blocks were attached with a screws and nuts. These are serviceable and were original to the 59 Jag. The set you show in the picture above was issued in 1968. Note the two outer triangles in the side band and non removable end caps.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Back