When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Sears Spaceliner Reference

-
Just got my Spaceliner and it needs help. The confusing thing is that the model number lists it as a Standard, but it has a tail light. Here's the first part of the numbers 502 469800
Most likely somebody swapped off the original rack for a deluxe rack and tail light at some point in the past. Your front fork should also have truss bars (no springer), as it was the springer fork (deluxe) version that came with the tail light.

Here's what the rear view of the model 46980 should look like.

s-l1600d.jpg

I was given a bike today. After an initial search, I thought it was a Spaceliner, now I'm not so sure. Attached are picture of the serial number and the entire bike. It does have Sears stamped in the grips. The fenders and chain guard are chrome, not yet sure about the frame. I don't think that the front truss rod and the rear rack are Sears. Serial number is: M0. 6...74 17951. Any help with identification would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kevin

20161019_194923-jpg.jpg
Based on the design of the truss bars, serrated chain guard, and the low position of the forward tank mounting tab, my opinion is that it's probably a Murray Astroflite (or maybe a Western Flyer Cosmic Flyer built by Murray for Western Auto). The rear rack, seat, and rear fender probably belong to something else, though.

I'm thinking it probably started off as something like this.

Astroflite ad_c.jpg

Last edited:
Most likely somebody swapped off the original rack for a deluxe rack and tail light at some point in the past. Your front fork should also have truss bars (no springer), as it was the springer fork (deluxe) version that came with the tail light.

Here's what the rear view of the model 46980 should look like.

View attachment 378513

Mine does have truss bars....

Hello all. First time poster here. I just picked up a pair of Spaceliners last night that I noticed were overlooked in our local market. They were listed individually with a generic title like "Old Bike". I did not know what they were, but they certainly caught my eye. It took a good Google image search to figure out what they were. From there I found this resource and learned about them. Made arrangements and bought them.

Anyway, I'm new to the classic/vintage bike fixation and have been more focused upon steel road bikes. So these are a little out of my wheelhouse. I think they are awesome though.

I was not sure if this was the correct place to post, but I thought this scenario/question and the answers might be insightful for future visitors with similar situations.

Thanks to this wonderful resource, I found the men's bike is a 46303 model - basic painted model spec'd with single speed and no springer fork. However, this bike actually has a chromed springer fork and a Bendix 2 speed manual hub/lever. Could this have been the original set up? Meaning, were there options for custom orders for these bikes? Otherwise, I guess it must have been upgraded at some point in it's history.

Here are some pictures I snapped quickly this morning.

IMG_2587.JPG
IMG_2591 (1).JPG
IMG_2589.JPG
IMG_2590.JPG

Any other non-standard features on that one? (Other than the missing parts)

Also, thought I'd just share the women's bike. I am pretty certain the model number on stamp was 46911, which is the 64/65 single speed deluxe. But the hub has the three recessed red rings, which is indicative of the 2 speed hub, right? I will double check that serial number stamp tonight.

IMG_2579.JPG
IMG_2580.JPG
IMG_2581.JPG
IMG_2583.JPG
IMG_2592.JPG

I just bought these last night. I am still undecided if I will keep them to restore myself, sell the set, or part them out to maximize the flip.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any info.

IMG_2586.JPG

IMG_2588.JPG

Somebody altered the men's bike by swapping out the original rear wheel for one with a manual two-speed hub. The springer fork was also a swap, not an option (it was taken from a chromed, deluxe, model). The original fork would have been painted red.

Based on the serial number of the womens' bike, it looks as though somebody swapped on the two-speed kickback hub from the 46931. That's a nice upgrade to have, even though it isn't original.

Back