When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1911 Iver Johnson Head Badge Mystery

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ed Minas

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Thanks looking. We have a mystery I would like your help in solving.
I have a 1911 Iver and I found a correct V style head badge on EBay with the help of some Cabers. But here is the question. What was the orginal finish? I have been told 2 different things from 2 different sources.

Reliable source 1 says the the badge was originally stamped from copper and then polished. He went in to say that they were unplated until 1921.

Reliable source 2 agrees that they were stamped from copper but then nickel plated even in 1911.

So I am not trying to pit one against the other and will never mention the source of any opinions here, but who is correct?

Any and all information appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

My 1912 Special Racer is copper, never plated, on a nickel-plated head tube. I suspect there's some differences that may have reasons for it, may not. Maybe the copper was used with nickel head tubes for the sake of contrast and the nickel badge for painted head tubes? I'm pretty sure I've seen copper on paint, though, so I have no idea.

I always thought (although I may be wrong) that Iver Johnson used "Gold Plated Name Plates" on what they considered their top of the line or premier bicycles, which included the racing bikes, superior truss bicycles and ladies cycles labeled superior. They also used gold plated badges on the Delivery, Messinger, and Heavy Service cycles. The rest of the Iver Johnson line used an "Oxidized Silver Name Plate". However, I have no idea when the use of two different colored badges started. It may be possible that on the very early Ivers, just after 1901 when the new "V" shaped badge was introduced, that all badge finishes were the same. It would be great if someone could add to this mystery. Pete in Fitchburg

Thanks Pete and Duchess, that is helpful. I leaning toward having it Nickel plated. I think it would look good against the maroon head tube.
Ed

Pete,

Some of the catalogs do specifically mention plating....this is from '28/29...
upload_2017-5-18_15-25-1.png

I don't recall seeing plating notes on earlier years, but I haven't looked in a while. See P.S. note ;)

CHEER!
Wally

P.S. Yes, I'm still around....out riding mostly...

Back