When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn WZ Whizzer Barn Find!

-
So
Interesting bike, and serial number. Are the S-2 rims knurled (railroad tracks) or smooth?
The rims are badly rusted. But I am thinking no knurling? So if they are smooth what does that mean? Thanks for checking it out..

S2Rim.jpg

Could this be a 1948 Model WZ507 - for Whizzer Motor installation w/ every bell and whistle (auto clutch, bendix generator, fenderlite mud guard set, cycle lock, and heavy duty springer fork spring and rims, headlight, taillight? I wonder would the seat be vinyl or leather for that year?

1948_schwinn_18.jpg

Auto cluch. Call 920-559-1822 if you want to get a newsletter from the Illinois Whizzer Club. Parts and help. It must have had a generator on at one time to run the lights. The brass oil plug looks frozen. Be careful not to make it worse.
Your right the oil plug is frozen... But the marks on it are not my doing.. Someone got to it before me.

I think it means '48. I believe these may have been carried into '49 but your serial doesn't align with any '49 numbers. V/r Shawn

The serial doesn't align with any of the 48 numbers either. The stamped BB shell was probably a lost left over from 1941. With the non knurled S-2's I'd also say it's a 1948 build.

Last edited:
The serial doesn't align with any of the 48 numbers either. The stamped BB shell was probably a lost left over from 1941. With the none knurled S-2's I'd also say it's a 1948 build.
That would be super cool. I feel lucky to have it... I have a few stingrays but this is my first skip tooth or Whizzer. Thanks for the insights.

I have a theory about Whizzer serial numbers, but it doesn't mean that it is true! I have 5 factory Whizzers. Three of them which I believe are all 1948's have a prewar serial number. Another one has the early flat crimps with a standard C serial number (I think that one is a late 1947 or early 1948). The last one has a 1948 serial number that places it just days before the fire. All bikes have S-2's with no knurls. I think Schwinn used left over prewar bottom brackets for their new line of 1948 WZ507 bikes. Maybe this changed after the fire? Besides the dimpled chain-stays, and welded on brake clamp, these odd serial numbers could help separate the WZ507 models. Anyway that is my theory! I am sure their are allot of guys out there with better info.

Back