When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever see a pair of these come up?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

OhioJones

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I've seen some photos and what not of these in use back in the day. Would love to see about grabbing a pair. Maybe even making a pair or two. I would imagine that originals would be somewhat crude and probably best for display. But, I'm intrigued. Northern Michigan and especially the U.P. have quite a bit of unused track. :D

Ever seen these come up, and if so, how much?
sears.jpg

I had one like this years ago, It had 2 steel wheels about 6 in. apart, I have seen ads for a few different brands, never tried it but when I worked for the UPRR one of the guys on the road crew( we were outside of Las Vegas ) made one for a dirt bike (used paint scaffolding and wheels of a track car) he took the tires off and lined the rim with rubber, leather or something, we used to mess around with it after work ( we were stationed out in the desert with a train car to live on) but never worked too good, I think the forks needed to be welded straight. we rode in a little track car (12 hp motors) and even tho we know the schedule my head was always on a swivel looking both ways ready to jump off!

I had one like this years ago, It had 2 steel wheels about 6 in. apart, I have seen ads for a few different brands, never tried it but when I worked for the UPRR one of the guys on the road crew( we were outside of Las Vegas ) made one for a dirt bike (used paint scaffolding and wheels of a track car) he took the tires off and lined the rim with rubber, leather or something, we used to mess around with it after work ( we were stationed out in the desert with a train car to live on) but never worked too good, I think the forks needed to be welded straight. we rode in a little track car (12 hp motors) and even tho we know the schedule my head was always on a swivel looking both ways ready to jump off!

Sounds like a blast!! How long ago was that?

Kinda hijacking this thread but I worked for Union Pacific Railroad in late 70,s early 80's, cal. div. LA to LV, painted bridges over the harbor & canyons and any buildings in between, we had a deluxe living car (40's or 50's) with AC, heat, shower, slept 9, my boss made sure nobody else used it (road crews lived on a covered box cars) we had a box car for our painting/sandblasting etc.equipment ,we kept our dirt bikes (Yamaha 250 YZ) in there also,(wished UP went up the coast, we would have had surfboards) we worked 4/10's so we could drive home (about 250 miles was the furthest away but still gave us the car & per-deum [extra money for being on the road] when we were only 10 away at the harbor) on thur after wk or stayed and partied all weekend, SCORE & SNORE off road races, I was great taking girls back to our "train", could fill many pages on those adventures, was a great job to have in your mid 20's plus they had to pay you vacation if you worked 6 mo straight so they laid you off just before (cheep) but they paid you RR unemployment for 6 mo. so I'd live in Hawaii Oct-Dec surfing, home for Christmas then Utah, Tahoe or Mammoth working at ski resorts (for the ski pass) Jan-Mar then get called back to work but that is a whole other story. My dad hated it, if anybody ask what I did he said my occupation was recreation :mad: but I thought I had it maid :cool:, did that for few yrs. sorry for the long wended answer but I could go on for days! It was Fun!

Last edited:
Back