When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct wheels for the Marine bike found

-

MrColumbia

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Some of you will remember this Marine Issue WWII Columbia that I restored last year. It was missing the original wheels so I had done it up temporarily with a set made with Army surplus rims and a homemade front hub.

Well, thanks to Tom Warabak the bike now has a set of correct wheels. Not only that but they came with NOS War Tires. This bike is complete.

DSC_0055.JPG

DSC_0054.JPG

DSC_0057.JPG

DSC_0059.JPG

Some of you will remember this Marine Issue WWII Columbia that I restored last year. It was missing the original wheels so I had done it up temporarily with a set made with Army surplus rims and a homemade front hub.

Well, thanks to Tom Warabak the bike now has a set of correct wheels. Not only that but they came with NOS War Tires. This bike is complete.

View attachment 490874
View attachment 490875
View attachment 490876
View attachment 490877
What identifies it as a Marine bike? How is it different from say an Army bike? A very cool bike and I would bet not many survived. Please post a picture of the head badge.

What identifies it as a Marine bike? How is it different from say an Army bike? A very cool bike and I would bet not many survived. Please post a picture of the head badge.

Hi Don,

the headbadge is the same as for the Army bicycles.

The main differences are the wheels (as above), the colour (standard WW2 USMC equipment colour) and the serial number format on the BB. For Army bicycles, this is MG, for Marine Corps, MC.

And yes, fewer than ten known survivors, and it's not known how many were made.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

adrian

Back