When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 CWC Built Hawthorne Twin Bar

-

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
I posted this in this week's Show and Tell but since it IS a project thought I would post from beginning to end in a thread. There are threads that go into this model but the short story is that three manufacturers: Snyder, Monark, and CWC all built this model for Wards at the same time. From what I can tell none are very common and the CWC seems to be pretty scarce. That said rarity don't = $$$ so I couldn't see laying out big money for chrome, replacement headlight, etc... Velocipedist and TRM have set the bar on patina restorations well above my level but I'm going to give it a go on this one.

The first pic is how I got this bike at MLC earlier this year--a face only a mother could love! After ditching the basket I decided to give it a check ride and surprisingly everything worked except the rear dropouts were tweaked so bad the stand wouldn't catch to hold the bike upright. I found the only pic I could of an original paint CWC and replicated it best I could. Because everything was house painted I had to tear it completely down to include the wheels. Cleaning spokes and nipples is not my idea of fun--they seemed to keep multiplying! Stay tuned.... V/r Shawn
DSC_0234 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0271.JPG
DSC_0272.JPG
DSC_0009 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0012 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0015 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
Spokes.JPG

You are 100 percent right about TRM and Velocipedist setting the bar on patina builds, but it looks to me like you are on the right path for equal results. Best of luck, can't wait to see it finished! Joe

These are really nice bikes. I picked up this one in the same shape, and decided to put no $$$ into it. Removed 80 years of rust and repaints. I talked to the fellow I got it from a couple of weeks ago and he said he got it at a garage sale for 30 bucks. I paid him a lot more......he made out good. This bike looks good and is a fine rider. It's Snyder built.
001.JPG
007.JPG
005.JPG

These are really nice bikes. I picked up this one in the same shape, and decided to put no $$$ into it. Removed 80 years of rust and repaints. I talked to the fellow I got it from a couple of weeks ago and he said he got it at a garage sale for 30 bucks. I paid him a lot more......he made out good. This bike looks good and is a fine rider. It's Snyder built. View attachment 490393 View attachment 490394 View attachment 490395
Love that build Tink, but not quite the same bike. I believe yours in Snyder built, while the one Shawn is working on is CWC.

Back