When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Raleigh Tourist

-
it's steel, probably a good utility bike. I would never buy one, and the money would go a long way to buying a time-capsule original.
In the same market, I would buy Pugsley, Linus, Shinola or Public.
Doesn't count as Raleigh in my book.

Overheard in a group ride: "Raleigh used to be made in England??!?"

Last edited:
Their are a lot of other Raleigh bikes that look better and are $200-$250 cheaper. And why buy one for $649 when I can't sell the vintage ones I've got for $40.

Yeah I agree with you both. I was thinking about buying a new internal hub lightweight bike down the line but it seems like quality is an issue these days. There's another brand that's making lightweights for North American roads called Simcoe. They're out of Canada and the quality looks good.
http://simcoebicycles.com/

Last edited:
It's just something different from a vintage Raleigh. It's inspired very generally by the Raleigh Sports of the 1960s, but it really is a totally different bike. That's not to say it's bad, but it's just a new "comfort" or "hybrid" style bike. If you're looking for something more "vintage style" from Raleigh, their Danish market roadsters are still very traditional.

tourist_sport_herre.jpg

touristdeluxe_brooks.jpg

touristdeluxe_dame1.jpg

This is setting aside other brands. I'm partial to the Pashleys for new bikes, but they're really expensive.

It's just something different from a vintage Raleigh. It's inspired very generally by the Raleigh Sports of the 1960s, but it really is a totally different bike. That's not to say it's bad, but it's just a new "comfort" or "hybrid" style bike. If you're looking for something more "vintage style" from Raleigh, their Danish market roadsters are still very traditional.

View attachment 644180

View attachment 644181

View attachment 644182

This is setting aside other brands. I'm partial to the Pashleys for new bikes, but they're really expensive.
Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely check out Raleighs Danish site. I'm a big fan of Pashley's as well. I would like to find a bike that has the vintage style but doesn't weight 50 pounds. I'm sure thats going to be very difficult though.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely check out Raleighs Danish site. I'm a big fan of Pashley's as well. I would like to find a bike that has the vintage style but doesn't weight 50 pounds. I'm sure thats going to be very difficult though.

Take a look at the Electra Amsterdam Royal 8i. Aluminum frame, about 39 lbs. Great styling, I've been happy with my old steel 3 speed model, comfortable, a smooth ride and good quality. See reviews online. Electra is an American company, i don't know if they're built US but how many Danish style commuters are? Here's the 2017 model, I like styling on the older ones a little more.
IMG_4739.jpg

Yeah - the Electras are not bad. They have a modern "comfort" bike frame and offer more modern materials than a traditional roadster.

You've got a lot of nice choices today for this type of bike, and it really depends on what you are looking for. The Electras can be really good commuters and bike trail bikes - I see several each week being used as commuters in the city.

Some other possibilities are listed above. The ones I see most often as everyday "utility" bikes with a traditional feel:

Public
Brooklyn Bike Co.
Electra
Retrospect (not sure if this is a brand or model, but I see them a lot)
1970s-era Raleigh Sports (3-speed) and Sprite 27 (10-speed)

I've not ridden all of those, but the fact that I keep seeing the same ones commuted on everyday counts as a vote in their favor (a couple of these I've seen everyday headed to work for several years).

Thank you guys! You're suggestions are really helpful. I will definitely check out the Electra and the other brands you both suggested. From what I saw from a quick check they cost 1319$, which pricey but cheaper than the Pashley by a little bit.

Back